Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stuck case thanks to Hornady one shot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: Stuck case thanks to Hornady one shot!

Been using one shot for years and never had a stuck case. The rcbs system is slow and messy, but I never had a stuck case with it either.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Bronze Member

Use One Shot for pistol and small easy to size rifle, and to lube dies....for large/magnum rifles you will end up with what you have, a stuck case!

Hornady sells a good case lube, it just does not come in a spray can....

FUBAR,
Wounded Warrior Alumni
Old 07-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Gold Member

When we buy a spray can of lube we are trying to achieve ease of use and an even lube coverage on our brass . However we are only considering the spray from the can not the process to make that can .
The process is far more complicated than just a mixture in a tube of RCBS lube for example.
Is it possible that your can of One Shot has no or little lube in it and only propellant gas ?
This kind of product is more prone to manufacturing faults than other simpler products.
Is it wise to spay stuff in the air you breath while reloading , although it is duly noted that the post starter did his brass outside which is very smart .
Could the brass be dirty and this may have caused extra friction ?
I try not to use aerosol products where possible .
RCBS lube has worked for me for 40 years on every cartridge I have ever used so until it stops working that is what I stick with .
I can wipe my hands free of goo but you can't wipe the inside of your lungs.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

If you are spraying any lube while cases are in he tray that is likely the culprit. Spray in a ziplock or Tupperware case, shake well and let dry. Been using the same ziplock for over a year with sharp shoot r royal or rooster lube with zero issue. In the tray you are likely missing bottom fifth of case where most resizing/friction is present. If spraying try this method. On the big stuff, 338-378, 378, 416, 505 I stick with imperial and a pad.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
If you are spraying any lube while cases are in he tray that is likely the culprit. Spray in a ziplock or Tupperware case, shake well and let dry. Been using the same ziplock for over a year with sharp shoot r royal or rooster lube with zero issue. In the tray you are likely missing bottom fifth of case where most resizing/friction is present. If spraying try this method. On the big stuff, 338-378, 378, 416, 505 I stick with imperial and a pad.

I should have mentioned it in the thread . I have a 18 ft flat bed trailor (wood floor) I carried my brass out side in my wooden loading block , then I took each hull out and placed it on the floor of the trailor. My father has reloaded for about 34 years now and all he has ever used is the RCBS pad and RCBS lube. The only thing to worry about is not getting too much lube on the cases or it will dimple them. We usually take 4 or 5 and roll them lightly , then I always pick one up and tilt it nearly straight up and roll the neck just ever so lightly . This site is great and you guys have tons of knowledge to share but I'm going to stick with pop on this method and stick to the sticky RCBS lube I havent had nothing but issues while using the Hornady One/Stuck Shot....... I am always willing to step up and learn better loading/shooting skills but I feel this was a step back. I'm kind of impatient and I like to just rub some lube down on the pad and go at it. Get R Done
Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Bought One Shot 3 yrs ago. Followed directions. The very first case stuck in die. Threw it away. Bought Hornady Unique and have never looked back.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

I have been using Hornady One Shot Spray lube for years and never had a single problem. I did get some of the pump bottle One Shot lube once when the store was out of the spay cans and it stuck cases and I trashed it. The problem the OP had could have been due to leaving the cases after spraying them in the HOT sun. It could have melted the lube off of them.