Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stuck case thanks to Hornady one shot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Stuck case thanks to Hornady one shot!

I just recently recieved my brand new redding type S full length sizing die . I have been treating it like GOLD . But the other day I got out the Hornady one shot soaked my rem. brass down at ALL angles let it set 4 or 5 minutes in the sun (92 degrees atleast) . Took em into the house and on about the 4th one I bowed up on it (dumb me) when I went to pull it back down it RIPPED the rim on both sides clean off. I had to bite my tongue . Any ways I just tried to get it out , luckely about three years ago my dad gave me a redding stuck case remover kit. I had a hard time trying to remove the case , it wanted to spin while in the press . So I decided to take off the lock ring and install the die back into the press then run it all the way down until nearly out of threads on the top side of the press . Then from the bottom side of the press I re installed the lock ring onto the die , this way when I took the (baby) allen wrench I could turn it and the die wouldn't move . Just thought I would share this with you all and how it worked out pretty good for me

How many of you guys use Hornady Stuck Shot

Thanks for looking.........
Old 07-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stuck case thanks to Hornady one shot!

"...ALL angles let it set 4 or 5 minutes in the sun ..."

Did you also shake the can well before you started spraying? Or is the can nearly empty and most of the actual lube is gone?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

I had them try to stick on me too with One Shot or one stuck what ever it is. It went in the trash and I went back to my old tried and true RCBS pad and lube for full sizing. The spray was a messy deal too.

Jeff
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

been there tried the one shot and dillon spray, got slicker reloading trays than cases. Went back to the pad and lube. I've gone through two bottles of lube in the last 5 years. Zero stuck cases. I only lube the back 1/2 to 2/3 of the case and don't get neck dents. If your chamber isn't big and your loads aren't to hot, the back 1/2 of the case is fine.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

I haven't found anything better than RCBS lube so far... I even tried the Imperial Sizing wax that everyone gets so titillated about and it's still not as slick as the RCBS lube...

I've never, ever had a stuck case using RCBS case lube.

Dan
Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 PM

Have used the RCBS lube forever with no stuck cases. But was considering changing over to the spray or wax due to all the hoopla. Why do I feel like I need to fix something that is not broken??
Thanks for the "heads up" I believe I will just stick to my tried and true slippery goo!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Never had any trouble with One Shot. That is all I have used since I have been reloading.

Jason