Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stuck case in die - which tool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Stuck case in die - which tool?

Guess it is my turn in the barrel...

Stuck a case in a Redding body die. What is the best tool available to get it out that will not harm the die. Case is toast.

Die currently soaking in Kroil.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Gold Member

Re: Stuck case in die - which tool?

Several makerss, but the RCBS is on sale at Midwayusa....

RCBS Stuck Case Remover - MidwayUSA

Aldon
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
Several makerss, but the RCBS is on sale at Midwayusa....

RCBS Stuck Case Remover - MidwayUSA

Aldon
As an alternative, you can head to your local hardware store, pick up a 1/4-28 tap, suitable tap drill, and a couple of 1/4-28 socket head sap screws long enough to go through a socket fitted over the base of the brass to rest on the bottom of the die and take it out yourself. Piece of cake.

That said, after you get it out I'd recommend taking a piece of dowel rod that's about 1/2 to 2/3 the diameter of the sdie body at the shoulder, sawing a slit in the end of it, to hold a strip of emery paper about an inch wide, chucking it in an electric drill and using some emery paper soaked in oil to polish the inside of the die. I've had stuck cases in Redding does on several occasions/. After polishing the inside of the die with 400, 600, and 800 grit paper for 20 to 30 seconds per grit your problem will be history. You can get the paper at an automotive parts store in a variety pack that has several grits) they never stuck again. The worst one I had was my .223 Rem. FL sizing die. That was sticking about every 20th case. I polished it and a few thousand cases later it hasn't stuck again.

Fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)

Last edited by Fitch; 07-14-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

The RCBS type pullers do a good job and every reloader should have one on his bench. Stick happens. If a case is really stuck no penetrating oil can get into it, no freezer tricks will free it.

When drilling and tapping the primer pocket be sure to unscrew-back out the decapping stem as far as possbile to prevent damaging it. If you "do it yourself" try a 1/4 x 20 tap and bolt, the finer/shallower threads of 1/4 x 28 sometimes strip out of the soft brass.

Sticking usually occurs when we don't lube the lower, thicker portion of the case near the head. That's where they get stuck, not on the upper portion or neck. The only warning we have is when the lever pressure becomes greater than normal.

Last edited by boomtube; 07-14-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Boomtube's right on 1/4-20 as I've had 28 strip out.