Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stuck case in 300 win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Stuck case in 300 win

That shiny spot confirms you have an anomoly in your chamber which is larger than the rest of the chamber. The brass is expanding to conform to the larger area. While the brass does contract after firing that shiny area is larger than the chamber just behind it and you are fighting to push it into a smaller space hence the shiny spot. I know I have had this happen too.

Because this is a new rifle I'd bring it back to the gunstore with some of those fired rounds. If you cannot get satisfaction you may have to send it back to the manufacturer.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Thanks for you're help. I'm using Winchester brass which is what I use in all my rifles. I'm gonna try some factory loads to see if it still sticks. If so I'm going to have my chamber looked at by a gunsmith. Being that the rifle is brand new should I call Remington? Also I use a O.A.L. Gauge and comparator from hornady. I use this method to seat all my hunting guns at .020 of the lands, then I start working up my powder charge. All my non magnums shoot great and usually preform at + or - 1 gr of max charge with no pressure signs. Has anyone had bullet seat depth effect magnums this much?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Good idea to shoot some factory stuff as a control. I am certain it is the chamber and not your loads. Talk to the place that sold you the rifle and show them the fired factory brass. I would think a good gunstore would replace it for you, but you never know you might have to deal with Remington.

As for seating bullets into the rifling I build a 7 rem mag with a match chamber reamer, had to turn the necks, and shot the 180 Berger VLDs .035" into the rifling! As long as you work up the load after establishing the seating depth you will be fine.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
A friend of mine had the same problem with a 7 STW. He carried to a gunsmith who polished the chamber and it completely fixed the problem. He said that there was some type of imperfection in the chamber that when the brass swelled during firing caused it to stick. He did this while he waited.
I'm also thinking it's a rough and/or imperfect chamber.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

Personally I would not tolerate anyone polishing the chamber to repair a poor chamber job. IF you could get the case to come out of the chamber easily think of the shape of the area near the web! The chamber already is larger than specified, polishing would make it worse.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

I noticed you said " new " Remington, and I believe that what AZSHOOTER said is accurate. When the rifle was chambered, it is possible,( probable ) that your chamber has a " wide" spot, forward of the belt, that when fired, creates a mechanical lock, until you are able to cam it off of that spot. I have seen this of late, and when you said the rifle is new, well that sealed the deal. Your rifle may need a trip back to Ilion.
Your load data definitely dosent indicate high pressure, maybe except for the bullet jam. You may want to contact Remington!!!