Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Strange load development results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 09:55 PM

Strange load development results

I am trying to work up a load for my 300WM using Barnes TSX 165's and RL22. I started at 76 grains and worked my way to 80 grains keeping the bullet .03 from the lands. Accuracy was great (for me anyway) as all the loads shot under 1 inch at 100 meters. Oh ya I was using Fed 215M primers, Winchester brass and my rifle has a 24 inch barrel. Here is the data:

76 = AVG 3006 MV
77 = AVG 3099 MV
78 = AVG 3096 MV
79 = AVG 3056 MV
80 = I stopped shooting as the thump was getting bigger but the velocity wasn't!

Other than the kick there were no signs of excessive pressure up to this point.

Can anyone tell me what's happening here? My loading manulas show that RL22 should take me to almost 3300 FPS with a 165 in a 24 inch barrel. Since this powder is not doing it, any suggestions on what type of powder to try next?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Strange load development results

What manual are you using?
I don't know how much it would affect things, but Barnes recommends .050" off the lands
last I read (Barnes #1).

DK
Old 03-31-2006, 11:07 PM

Deerkiller

I was actually usng an old Nosler and speer manual as well as online data from places like handloads.com

Yes there was a set of instructions from barnes that came with the bullets - they recomend .03 - .07 off the lands.

I'm not so concerned with the velocity as I am curious as to why the velocity would not continue to increase over a certain point even though the loads were kicking harder and no pressure signs were showing?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:10 AM
Bronze Member

You've got a good one there.
I would consider a speed plateau maybe.
If this lot of powder has been used before & behaved normally,
I would continue to carefully work the load up.

DK
Old 04-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Gold Member

Krazy, You ran out of powder!! Really, you passed the efficiency point of that powder. If you monitored the SD, you would have usually seen the SD getting better to 77 or 78 grains and then open up. You'll need to go to a slower powder to go any faster. Also, I usually start Barnes bullets at .050 and the work up my loads. After I find the speed I want, I then shoot groups going in & out with the OAL to see if I can find the sweet spot. But be careful, pressure goes up as you seat closer to the lands and down as you seat the bullet deeper and further off the lands. Some rifle shoot best at .100+ off the lands! Find your sweet spot and then adjust powder charge for speed and accuracy. I would go to the 168 match bullet TSX myself. BC is lower, but accuracy is usually better. Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2006, 08:34 AM

wapiti13

Thanks for the tip - I will back the bullet out to .05 off the lands.

You are correct about some extreem diffences in velocity. Unfortunatley my chronie errored out a few times but here is the data i have:

76 grains = 3015, 3020, 2986.
77 grains = 3099, error, error
78 grains = error, 3144, 3047
79 grains = 3018, 3094, did not shoot the 3rd shot

I don't understand what you mean when you say 'i ran out of powder'. Are you saying that i was not able to burn all the powder before the bullet left the barrel? If so wouldn't that mean that I should go to a faster burning powder? (bear with me i'm new to this - lol) Lso, which powder would you recommend?

Thanks for the help [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Krazy, I meant that you maxed out that powder for its burn rate. Once you pass the peak pressure for that powder, adding more powder will actually lower the velocity and SD goes to pot. It usually means that you need to try a slightly slower powder to gain more velocity or go to a different brand of powder to match case capacity to powder volume and burn rate. I think that you were loading a 300 WM with the 165 Barnes TSX. Barnes #3 manual recommends H4831 for 3157 fps max. The TSX could actually beat that since manual was built with the older BT or FB bullets. Newer TSX actually lower pressures which should allow you to add a "little" more powder and gain a "little" velocity. Obviously, every rifle/chamber/barrel, etc. changes the variables. Primers can make a major difference in large amounts of powder. Try different primers to find the best SD and velocity. Good luck.