Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Strange day on the ladder test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Strange day on the ladder test

Green,

Now you're talkin.....

Regarding inconsistencies in where the bullet struck;
We human folks are a wierd bunch. We want to "wish" the bullet hole into a more reasonable placement that it actually is. Bottom line it that it is where it is and must be left there. We can rationalize all we want but it only helps the bottom line of Primer/Powder/bullet makers.

As we, here at LRH, tend to gravitate towards more extreme cartridges, barrel life is becoming a major consideration.

It is in all of our best interests to be able to "work up" a load w/as few shots as practicable.

Personally, I am really enjoying the tail end of this thread. It looks like some of us are catching on just a bit more. When the tide raises all the boats float a little higher. Except those boats with too short of an anchor chain....

Again, the forum, is pulling through for the betterment of the shooters.

I don't have either the ladder test or the OCW method figured out yet but what I have noticed is that whenever I am testing two or more loads I ALWAYS (now) shoot the shots in a round robin sequence. There's something about the round robin thing that "rings" true.

If I'm going to do a latter test as above, with two loads, I'd even consider doing it simultaneously.

Thanks for your analysis. I was going to post mine, but was hesitant. I think you and I came up with the same results. I liked your words better than the way I would have said it.

PS: In my OCW testing I seems to show that the mass of the powder(grains) makes more difference than the velocity that it produced (unless its grossly different)?

That is, when shooting round robin, a load of say 74.5 grains produces a velocity of 2800fps and a load of 74.7grs produces 2800 fps the 74.5 grain POI is in the 74.5 gr target's group and the 74.7gr POI is in the 74.7gr target's group. And the groups are centered on signifcantly different positions on the two targets. Make sense?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

Bill the chrono data is on the first page. If you are looking for something different let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Silver Member

4ked,

Tell me about it. I was lucky with the 3-6 mph winds. I will graph the vertical tonight when I get home for now though I can do the velocities.

We will have to get together. I will be shooting in one form or another from now til hunting season is over.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A little bit of unburned powder follows the bullet through the sky screens and a read error occurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, how close are you putting that chono? If the powders not burned @ 10 ft you've got problems that no load developemnt is going to fix!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Bill gimme a break [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Stuff some powder in them there cartridges [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd cover it with duct tape but then couldn't see the numbers[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PS: I loan it out some [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Silver Member

Dan,

No offense taken. If you have a better method by all means I am all ears. I tried this because it was a better method than what I was preivously doing. If there is a much more effective and simplier way let me know. I did try to read that website you linked on here, but I don't know if my eyes were just hurting I could read more than a paragraph.

Maybe you could email me a condensed version?

For now though I would like to understand this data before moving on.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:19 AM
SPONSOR

Sorry, I guess I'm blind. Even w/the data, it's still kinda murky. Take this for what's it's worth, which is nothing I'm sure, but I would load up 50.4 gr or 50.5 gr behind the 125 and go try it. This is from looking at the velocities only.

I'm @ loss looking @ the velocities on the 75 gr. There doesn't ever appear to be more than 4 shots in a node.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

Well you know more than I do about this test. with the 125's would you shoot like a 3 or 5 shot group?