Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Strange accuracy at LR-Thought?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Strange accuracy at LR-Thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves762 View Post
How can a bullet that groups small at 100yds miss at 800 when a bullet that groups larger (less accurate) hit at 800?
Because grouping isn't accuracy. They have nothing to do with each other.

Also, slowing/downrange bullets are MORE stable, rather than less stable, until deep into transonic velocities.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

It could very be happening just based upon a high ES. I had two loads for my 300WM using 210VLD's. One at 2800FPS that produced sub.25MOA at 200 yards with an ES that was 30FPS. The other load at 2900FPS, .5MOA at 200 yards, and an ES of 8FPS. The difference between the two loads was powder choice, H1000 vs Retumbo in the second load. The second load clearly outperformed the first load at 800-1000 yards by 4-10". A 30FPS ES is high for long range shooting. If your higher velocity BT had an ES advantage, it could account for the better accuracy at long range. Large ES spreads are generally not evident when group testing at 100-200 yards, but quickly rears it's ugly head at long range as the bullet slows down at longer ranges. Just a thought. It may not be the cause of what your but could be worth checking out. IMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
Just a thought for discussion cause I don't know the answer:

Could it be the 210 gr is approaching the limit of what your barrel and velocity can stabilize and once the bullet slows down it is destabilizing whereas the more appropriate weight bullet is maintaining spin and stabilization?

Are you chonographing the loads and see if you have a large Extreme Spread on velocities? If you did, the lower velocities loads could be losing stabilization.

Just posing theories

I think this is on the right track! Also dont be surprised at what the BTs can do... just because they are cheap they and the amax seem to constantly be more forgiving in terms of loading and accuracy on targets than many of the other more custom bullets
Old 12-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Gold Member

[QUOTE=Daves762;886742
I guess I need to shoot paper to see what "group" looks like at that range.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

I am with Greyfox on this. ES is too high and really shows up at 800 yards. That is about .5 MOA or 4". It could be 4" one direction, 4" the opposite direction.

I was shooting a rifle a few weekends ago that at 100 yards sent several bullets with different grains and types of powder into a tight group. Although I am happy with that, I know for a fact I have just begun developing a load. When I shoot for groups I start at 200. One more example: My 100 yard zero for a 160 Matrix and a 140 VLD with a 240 FPS difference are the same at 100 yards. At 200 yard zero with the 160 the 140 is 2MOA high.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

OK thanks fella's