Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Straighter reloads for $19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

Throwing powder at the range

AJ,

Throwing powder at the range is easy if you live with the parameters you set.

1. You'll want a measure which is easy to convert some kind of value "on" the measure to grains. Ie, my Harrell Premium "meter" uses clicks. Example, 113.5 on my Harrells relates to 113 on the drum and an extra 5 clicks. It will throw 69.9 gr of Magum propellant. Their are 6 clicks inbetween each number. The custom 90 has 4 if memory serves me. Here is the BR premium link just to show the culver drum with graduations. Some of the Harrell models will throw to 120 grains; big enough for your AM?

New BR PREMIUM Powder Measure

My old RCBS Uniflow with the micrometer insert will do nearly the same thing but without the high cost and the clicks.

2. You'll want a powder which will "meter" well. I feel every powder has it's own merits. I've acutally tested some long grained propellants which metered decently well. Some don't!

3. You'll want to preestablish a Hi/Lo range for your charges. An example would be +/- .1 gr, .2gr, .3gr, etc. Obviously for such a cartridge as an AM your percentage can be larger.

4. Before heading out, run a range of throws to predetermine where you'll want to start and where you'll want to stop when you've hit your predetermied max. Example, when I ran a ladder test last month for my 30-06Ackley and the 200 Accubond, I had determined that 68.9 gr of Rel 25 was max via QuickLoad. I subracted 10% and had my bottom end. Actually, I determined 21 shots at .3 gr variance I came up with 62.9 gr. I then found out what click value gave me an average of 62.9 gr and that was my low at the range. I then determined what click value gave me an average of 68.9 and that was my high. I've stopped before the high when pressure signs showed max and sometimes even continued beyond when pressure said to keep going.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Griffith View Post
AJ,
Some of the Harrell models will throw to 120 grains; big enough for your AM?
Thats what I figured you guys did. The starting load on my AM is 143gr, it shot so well, I didn't mess with it (3300fps with the 300gr SMK will do whatever I need to do!). I'll play around and see if there is an even sweeter load this summer.

Thanks for the explanation,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
I've been considering getting one of those for a while, I've heard nothing but good things about them and have some close friends that use nothing but the Lee hand press. Of course they aren't long range guys, I think your glowing review will probably spur me to have one in my possesion in short order. I've wanted one for the purpose of a dedicated depriming die and seating at the range just as you did, but the possibility of being able to use it as an all around press is just great. What cartridges have you resized in it? Will it handle the belted magnums?
I resized some 7mm Rem mag brass (old stuff I don't use any more). And it will do it, but pushing the shoulder back an exact amount (half a thousandth) is tough with the hand press. I had no problem with the 300WSM and new norma brass, but the old 7mm Rem Mag brass was a little springier. For most things, it would work, but for real touchy resizing, I'd prefer a strong bench mounted press. In fact, I prefer a strong bench mounted press for everything. This little guy will just be for seating at the range.

That said, if someone was just getting into reloading and wanted to reload a few boxes/year for their .243 or 30-06, this would be a great little setup. The press, dies, calipers, powder dippers, scale and hand primer would all fit in a medium size tackle box and wouldn't need anything but a kitchen coutertop to do the reloading. Probably wouldn't cost much more than $100 either!

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-25-2007, 10:42 PM

A.J. my son knew I was wanting this little press. And got one for me for christmas. I am going to load some A-Max to shoot at the deer lease . I have sized the brass with my collett die. This batch doesn't need shoulder bump yet. But I put one through the F/L sizer and it seemed to do fine . I can go through my process just as fast as my Rockchucker. I did have to do some readjusting too but it is miner. I have 190 Bergers to shoot from my rockchucker and the A-Max from the hand press. It is compareing apples to oranges but I will let you know how they shoot.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Chino034,

Good luck on the deer lease.

AJ