Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Straighter reloads for $19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Straighter reloads for $19

When I work up a load, I've got to drive 10 miles each way to test it out. It normally took me several trips to get the seating depth correct. I would load 5 rounds each at .001" seating depth drive to the range, setup and test. When I found a depth that worked well, I would invariably have ammo that needed to be reseated or pulled to make the seating depth correct. It was a pain, because I'd shoot 5 that seemed correct and I'd have to go back home to duplicate them and validate the depth.

I was recently looking around on Midway's site and found the following hand press MidwayUSA - Lee Hand Press

I decided I'd order one, then I could reload my ammo .030" too long and just seat them at the range to whatever seating depth I wanted to test. I figured with the price of diesel ($4/gallon) it wouldn't take long to save the $19 for the little hand press.

Well, I decided to load up some ammo to test the 200 Accubonds in my 300WSM. I decided to give this little press a full fledged test and use it for the entire reloading process. I resized and seated 20 cartridges and then measured them on my Sinclair concentricity gauge. I was surprised to find 5 of the 20 rounds were absolutley perfect, the needle didn't even move on the concentricity gauge! The highest runout was just barely .002" and most of the rounds where around .001" !

I hurriedly measured 20 rounds I had previously made on my bench press and found only 3 'flatliners', but had several that had more than .004" runout and the rest were around .002".

It was clear that the little $19 handpress was making straighter ammo than my $200 RCBS press!

The brass for both batches came out of the same lot and had been fired the same number of times. I used the same dies (Redding type-S full length) and shellholder. I pushed the shoulder back the same amount on both tests; between .001" and .0015" (measured with a stoney point and my Starrett calipers). Bullets for both batches were out of the same box.

Just thought I would share this info with you all.

AJ

ps: the handpress is normally $21 but is currently on sale for $19

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

How tough is resizing and stuff? As soon as I get the damages to the Suburban payed off I would like something to reload some rounds with at the range.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

I would guess that you are having thoughts about the RCBS press.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Kemp View Post
How tough is resizing and stuff? As soon as I get the damages to the Suburban payed off I would like something to reload some rounds with at the range.

It has good leverage and good feel. It has a lot of leverage right at the top of the stroke, where you are doing your resizing.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester 69 View Post
I would guess that you are having thoughts about the RCBS press.
Not really. The press I was talking about is the big AmmoMaster 2 that I use for my 338AM and it does a good job and has a HUGE window for the big guy. I'm sure the runout I saw on those rounds were a combination of the long throw on the press and my 'carefullness'. I've made very good rounds on that press in the past, I think its just too big of a press for such a short (WSM ) round, any small amount of out of square (none of them are perfect) or 'looseness' shows up at the very top of the stroke (just when the WSM is feeding into the dies). After all, in comparison to a lot of reloads I've measured (from other folks) .002" average isn't all that bad, I was just completely impressed with the rounds I made with the little hand press.

AJ

Last edited by AJ Peacock; 12-22-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

"When I work up a load, I've got to drive 10 miles each way to test it out. "

Consider yourself lucky. The closest range to me is 50mi each way and they charge $15.00 each time you go there.

Shooting on L.I. is inconvenient & expensive. Many local shops have gone under.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

That seems like a great tip and cheap to boot. Have to try that out!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl