Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Storing primers and powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Storing primers and powder

Speaking of everything sealed, I have had this question for a while now. I have bought and been given a bunch of brass in the past, that has had green corrosion all over the brass and primers. What causes this green corrosion? Poor storage? Also, I have witnessed this corrosoin on brass that has had unfired primers in it, and it ruined the new primers, so when I got it I had to deprime good brass, to clean it up...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Gold Member

I had some powder I bought back in 1992 and used it last year and it was fine.

I always stored it in a nice cool place.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Green brass is caused by only one thing....moisture. It's 'rusting' in this case oxidizing. Thats also what causes your fingerprints on a case to cause the case to discolor, the moisture in your fingers plus the oil/acid in your skin.

I keep my cases in zip lock plastic bags with a silica gel dessicant pack in each one.

People want their expensive copper gutters to turn green, they like that patina. Not so with cases. Cartridge brass is copper and zinc alloyed together.

I load them and unlike many posters, do a last tumble in a bowl tumbler to clean off the sizing lubricant and then I box them wearing cotton gloves...... and no, I've never had one ignite in the tumbler.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Years ago, propellants came in cardboard containers so shelf life was short btw.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Green brass is caused by only one thing....moisture. It's 'rusting' in this case oxidizing. Thats also what causes your fingerprints on a case to cause the case to discolor, the moisture in your fingers plus the oil/acid in your skin.

I keep my cases in zip lock plastic bags with a silica gel dessicant pack in each one.

People want their expensive copper gutters to turn green, they like that patina. Not so with cases. Cartridge brass is copper and zinc alloyed together.

I load them and unlike many posters, do a last tumble in a bowl tumbler to clean off the sizing lubricant and then I box them wearing cotton gloves...... and no, I've never had one ignite in the tumbler.
LOL that was my next question.... I just don't feel safe doing that. Maybe it's me being slightly still new to reloading, as opposed to yall that have been doing it for years and years.

Yeah, I pull mine out of the tumbler, clean debris from the flashholes, then put them in Zip-Lok bags, and then store them in sealing surplus .50 BMG ammo cans. Seems to work great for me. I use my sonic cleaner to get all the corrosion off, then I tumble the corroded ones for 5+ hours. to get them shiny again. It's worked good so far. I've turned some pretty nasty looking brass into reuseable stuff.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Years ago, propellants came in cardboard containers so shelf life was short btw.
I've shot h4831 from war surp stocks "bottled" in the 70's out of Hodgdon paperboard and it was just fine; that was ten years+ ago though.... Now THAT was some good powder; it makes today's h4831 look rather poor in comparison.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Lefty, where do I learn more about surplus powders and where are they sold?