Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stiff chambering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stiff chambering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Bart, it's the compounding of errors down range. If you would quit beating a dead horse I would appreciate it. Every time I post something you aren't sure you can digest you try to pick it apart. It's almost funny. I'll be unsubscribing from this thread now as I'm getting ther feeling this won't end.
easier to just put him on your ignore list, I did, took him of out of curiosity, put him right back on it.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Fine. Too bad you can't or don't know how to explain it. Or maybe it's one of your secrets that you're afraid someone else will know about. 'Tis nothing but a grade school rate-time-distance problem anyway. So a 35 mph animal will move about 1/40th inch in .0004 second. That's what I was getting at for the difference in lock times between .00250 and .00246 second and how far that deer would move at top speed. Doesn't matter if that primer was .002" deeper either; that .0004 second difference still applies and the animal would move just as far in that length of time.

And picking apart someone's reasoning is how their errors are exposed. It'll also expose why they're correct in their reasoning; if they are correct.

Since you are rather dense and I hopped back on to check out Joe's post, I'll 'splain it to you in a way a kindergardener could understand.
One inch variation on its own wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. Add 4 inches for your average group size and another 6 inches because you have the shakes, not to mention an inch or two because you have piss poor optics that aren't dialing out the parallax well, and you get pretty hopeless on boiler rooming a critter in a hurry. Even worse if you have a varying wind or elevation change. Not to mention the dang thing stopping as I let the shot fly, like happened at the last running mule deer I shot at 400 yards; still got him though.
If you can cut out even a bit of your maximum dispersion, would you do it??

By the way, thanks for the insight on the ignore list, and how do you do it??-- update...I think I've got it...

Last edited by Lefty7mmstw; 08-27-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
If you can cut out even a bit of your maximum dispersion, would you do it??
No, especially when the dispersion caused by a .00004 second change in lock time's well covered by any bullet larger than about 1/20 inch in diameter centered on the edge of that error's bandwidth.

But I would correct for that tiny lock time difference if my bullets were 1 caliber ones; .010 inch in diameter; otherwise they would miss the desired impact point. If the lock time was too long, I'd lay a thumb on the back of the firing pin adding extra pressure to make it shorter. Shorter lock times would require my thumb be pressing on the side of the firing pin's cocking piece to increase its friction making lock time longer.