Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stiff chambering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:25 PM

Re: Stiff chambering

I did measure everything involving brass both fired, sized, loaded, and factory loaded to compare, that's why I say it is a bullet/seating problem.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

I don't use any fancy gauges to check seating depth to the lands, what I do is smoke the bullet around the case neck to see if when I pull the cartridge out of the chamber the bullet has not back out any. The lands always take the soot off of the bullet but I have never had any that look like yours.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 PM

looking at the shoulders, it looks like there may be some buckeling there. Are you crimping (on purpose or otherwise)? Try backing out your seater die some then readjust your seating plunger for ptoper depth then try again.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

i had a similar problem and i drove myself insane trying to figure out what was going on when one day i was switching dies in my press and i dropped something on the floor when i bent down to pick up the item i noticed that when i had the ram on my press at its upper most position the shell holder was extremely out of square with the die. i have been using this press for more than a few years so i decided it was time for an upgrade so i bought a redding big boss II press and i havent had the problem since. now my shell holders are perfectly square with my dies..

in a nut shell .... my shellholder was not square with the die so my cases were being shoved into the die at a slight angle causeing my cases to be sized at an angle and the bullet to be seated at an angle...
a new press fixed the issue

just a suggestion
Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 PM

check your crimp depth. i had the same problem, i set the bullet depth and then set the crimp. unfortunately when i reset for the bullet depth the bullet pushed down on the case and bulged the shoulder and then the shells would not chamber.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Another reloading process that'll make a once fired new case hard to chamber after it's reloaded is as follows.

If a full length sizing die's used and set in the press so not all of the neck's sized down (oft times called partial neck sizing), the fired case body will be reduced in diameter by the die but that will push the shoulder forward a few thousandths of an inch. That case may be a bit too long from its head to its shoulder and is a bit shorter than the rifle's bolt face to chamber shoulder. The bolt typically binds when this happens.

The solution is to reset the die lower in the press by about 4 thousandths inch; that's about 1/16th of a turn. After doing this, the case can be resized and its shoulder shoulde be set back enough to chamber easily and still be safe and accurate in performance.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

dia=Diameter. He wants you to make sure you didn't accidentally grab 7mm bullets for 270 for example. Weather mis marked on the box, or mistaken at the bench. Easy mistake when multiple boxes of the same bullet in different calibers are on the bench.
Heck I've got 277, 140 gr, 308 cal 165's, 180''s, & 200gr, & 338 cal 225gr Accubonds in my cupboards. All in thier own spot, of course, but I could see how it could happen. Tho seating them would be a bear....

Did you standard Champher, or VLD Champher your cases? Could be your bullet isn't seating "smooth enough" causing excess seating pressure there by causing the run out?

I've run into a simmilar stiff bolt problemb but I'm certain its in my shell holder. I actually have to size my dads, & cousins 270WSM brass with a piece of paper folded in two for a shim under the brass, in the shell holder. My Redding F/L die is bottomed out on the ram. There is no adjusting it down farther. My chamber is the only chamber the brass fits in, but it's somewhat stiff bolt. Not bad stiff, but noticeable. I intend to correct it by ordering custom shell holders, measured for different thicknesses. Cant just "sand it down evenly". Won't be square.

Anyway, the title is what perked my intrest in your thread. Simmilar, but different issues.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"