Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stiff chambering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Stiff chambering

Factory ammo chambers fine. My resized brass chambers fine as well. My problem comes after I prime, powder and place my bullet in the case. The bolt will close but it is tight, and takes more effort than I feel is correct.

So off the bat you would assume seating depth right? Well I am using the hornady OAL guage to find out where I need to be. Anyways I am well off the lands as measured so I dont know where the problem lies. I have measured the brass at the necks, and bodys of factory, sized, unsized, and reloaded brass and I am pretty sure it is not the brass. I also have some reloads with different bullets that chamber fine.

I finally took a sharpie to the bullet on two different seated bullets to see where I might be rubbing or hitting. With one close of the bolt it was somewhat hard to say, but after working the bolt a few times I get a mark on just one side of the bullet. Also at the same point on the bullet (not the same distace from the case neck).

I was just going to seat deeper, but would like to know your thoughts.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Stiff chambering-britts-camra-279.jpg   Stiff chambering-britts-camra-280.jpg  

Old 08-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stiff chambering

That almost makes me wonder if you've got something in your chamber. Have you tried a factory round again since running into this? Just for grinns mic your bullets for dai.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Bronze Member

It could be an optical illusion but the difference in the mark location from one bullet to the other looks like it is because one is seated deeper than the other. But at any rate, the scrape/mark sure looks like what rifling would make. Is there a possibility that your loading process is seating the bullet(s) out of round? Thus "high" on one side?
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM

Yes factory rounds still chamber. If I sharpie up a factory round it may make the slightest mark. I was wondering if I could have something in the chamber as well but after reading pitsnipe's comment I was curious so i took one of the marked reloads and chambered it going in at different positions (essentially just rotated the bullet around) now I would think it should make this scrape mark in different points of the rotation if seated straight.

This was not the case as no further marks were made, leading me to think I may not have seated them exactly straight, and may very well have a "high" side. I don't know what would cause this either, maybe the slightest amount of give in the press? I can not see any variation but it would be to small for me to see by eye. What could I do to fix the problem if that is it for sure.

Oh and what is "mic your bullets for dai". I am relatively new to this.

Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Silver Member

mic ...micrometer. measure.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Yeah I gotcha on the mic part but the dai part is what I didn't know. I searched up answers to improving bullet runout as well. Looks like I can improve some with the equipment I have for future loads, but I will have to seat deeper and live with it for now I guess. Maybe if this school thing ever pays off I can get more serious.

If I still touch lands slightly will there be a pressure increase I should worry about.

let me know if any of this sounds off base.
thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Check trim length & fired necks -vs- your reloaded necks(w/bullet seated).