Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Stiff bolt after reloading

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mid England. UK
Posts: 19
Stiff bolt after reloading

Hi Guys
I have a problem with reloads in 6.5X55:

Full length sized Norma Cases
Trimmed to 2.155"
120 grn Nosler BT

The rifle is a Tikka M595 with a Border (Archer) barrel chambered for 120 grain bullets and has been well cleaned.
The resized, trimmed & cleaned empty case fits pefectly with the bolt closing easily, the problem is that after a bullet is seated the bolt becomes tighter to close, not too tight but tight none the less, I have tried all seating depths from 20 thou off the lands to exactly the same length as a Norma factory round (which is not tight)
Once fired the case ejects easily and there are no signs of pressure.
The outside case neck diameter is the same after seating the bullet as it is before.
Anyone got any idea of what the problem may be please?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 44
Re: Stiff bolt after reloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck52 View Post
The resized, trimmed & cleaned empty case fits pefectly with the bolt closing easily, the problem is that after a bullet is seated the bolt becomes tighter to close, not too tight but tight none the less, I have tried all seating depths from 20 thou off the lands to exactly the same length as a Norma factory round (which is not tight)
Once fired the case ejects easily and there are no signs of pressure.

The outside case neck diameter is the same after seating the bullet as it is before.
The underlined text indicates the casing is fine. If there is a problem, it's likely the bullet. However, you're using the same brand of bullet as your factory loads...which aren't tight.

Are you using the same type and weight of bullet? Are you using a bullet comparator or going by COL? Is the 'stiffness' of the bolt that severe, or could it be just normal resistance but, you may be being a little overconcerned?

Good luck.
__________________
Run as fast and as long as you can... my little friend will catch up and set you free.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2011, 04:32 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mid England. UK
Posts: 19
Re: Stiff bolt after reloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Trang View Post
The underlined text indicates the casing is fine. If there is a problem, it's likely the bullet. However, you're using the same brand of bullet as your factory loads...which aren't tight.

Are you using the same type and weight of bullet? Are you using a bullet comparator or going by COL? Is the 'stiffness' of the bolt that severe, or could it be just normal resistance but, you may be being a little overconcerned?

Good luck.
The bullet is a Nosler 120grn BT, it is the identicle bullet used by Norma in his factory round
I am measuring (digital calipers) by COL which is fairly acceptable as the bullet has a polymer tip so does not deform like lead.
The bolt is too stiff to be acceptable
Regards
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mid England. UK
Posts: 19
Re: Stiff bolt after reloading

Reply to Chris-NZ
I should have said that the cases are once fired factory Norma, they eject perfectly, and chamber perfectly after FL sizing with no bolt stiffnes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Searcy, Arkansas
Posts: 700
Re: Stiff bolt after reloading

Measure a loaded and a sized but unloaded round at the junction of the case body and shoulder. If you have excessive neck tension your case may be bulging at this junction due to the force of pressing the bullet in. Is this a compressed load? It is possible to make a case swell when seating bullets over a compressed load.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mid England. UK
Posts: 19
Re: Stiff bolt after reloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
Measure a loaded and a sized but unloaded round at the junction of the case body and shoulder. If you have excessive neck tension your case may be bulging at this junction due to the force of pressing the bullet in. Is this a compressed load? It is possible to make a case swell when seating bullets over a compressed load.
Done that, measures 0.436 on both, the tension felt when seating the bullet is noticable but normal in my opinion, its not a compressed load, powder is below neck.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Searcy, Arkansas
Posts: 700
Re: Stiff bolt after reloading

The only other thing that comes to mind is maybe you need to bump the shoulder a bit more. Just for fun, take decapper/expander out of your die and resize a loaded round. This will tell you if something is happening during seating process.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Stiff bolt after reloading
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Savage Bolt and/or Bolt Face and bolt parts VjjR Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 5 10-01-2012 01:42 PM
PTG bolt for sale 750 bolt body M16 cut for Lapua face 308 nate Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 4 09-10-2009 09:47 AM
WANTED: REM 700 SA BOLT 308 BOLT FACE, Prefer stainless cab Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 2 04-26-2009 10:08 AM
Mcmillan Stocks to stiff Veritas Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 04-20-2009 07:08 AM
Wanted REAL BAD Remington short action Bolt with a 308 bolt face Darryl Cassel Guns For Sale 4 07-23-2002 04:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC