Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

sticky bolt sometimes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

sticky bolt sometimes

I worked a load for a buddy's rifle with used remington brass. The load consists of 73grs of retumbo with a winchester magnum primer and 162gr A-Max bullet. About 1 in 5 rounds it is hard to open the bolt. The max that i have found for this load is 73.5. Other than the occasional sticky bolt there is no signs of pressure. I have been loading for about 5 years and never had this problem. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Bronze Member

Re: sticky bolt sometimes

Bolt lift.....

#1: How sure that your powder measure is dropping 73grains? (Just asking, trying to check off things on the list)

#2: Brass from the same lot? (Inconsistant brass thickness can cause some pressure issues)

#3: Is the bolt hard to lift on round number one or round number five? Or just whenever? (Heating)

Scott
Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Back off the load 1/2 a gr. And Scott is also right. The brass maybe from different lotts. Weigh the brass and sort them according to weight.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

The brass is all remington head stamp but it is some that i just got here or there. Most was picked up at the range(once fired) that guys just left.I hand measure every charge of powder so that is consistent. One thing I did notice today was that some of the brass after being resized and case trimmed would fit tight in the chamber, even without primer ,powder or bullets. Could this be some or maybe all of the problem I am having. thanks again.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

I ran into that once with some range brass that had been loaded to extreme high pressures.Some had expanded so much,that the primer pockets would not even hold a primer.Every once in awhile I 'd get one that would give me a sticky bolt lift.It wasn't that my load was too hot,it was the brass was bad.Got rid of that brass and my problems went away.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 loader View Post
Back off the load 1/2 a gr. And Scott is also right. The brass maybe from different lotts. Weigh the brass and sort them according to weight.
+1

Back off 1/2 to 1 grain or seat the bullet .005 to .010 deeper.(Shorter COL).

J E CUSTON
Old 01-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Silver Member

Bald hunter thanks for the info. I am gonna try some new brass in the gun and see what happens. J E Costoms I will try backing off some if the new brass dont work as that seems to be the most offered remedy. The coal is set to saami so do you think it would be ok to go shorter? Although I have been reloading for a few years I am far from knowing the effects of changing stuff like that. I am one of the "the books say this" people and set my stuff up according to that.