Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sticky bolt problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Sticky bolt problems

Evening fellas, got a problem. Trying to get my friends brand new 300WM Remington ready pronto for Sept moose hunt.

Every peice of brass wether new brass or once fired reloads sticks to some degree after firing. Not lifting bolt, just pulling back...some we have had to give gentle whack with a book.

Had some spare nickel plated factory rounds and 1 of 3 had very slight tension. Tried new Win and Rem brass.

You can see brass is scraped just above the belt(1/8 inch). WE were shooting 78 gns. of H1000 and tried backing off to 75. Only slightly better results.

We also tried his once fired brass in my rifle and it also stuck in mine.

All rounds loaded easily.

Looked in chamber to see if there was a burr and tried to put a bent pick in rear of chamber to try to feel burr but cannot see or feel anything irregular.

Double checked OAL and tried backing off to see if pressure from bullet being accidently in lands could have produced high pressures.

My thoughts are burr exists that would be much more apt to stop a piece of regular brass than the nickel plated due to hardness.

This is a factory rifle.I'm considering trying to hone rear part of chamber as it worked for someone else on another thread. Its almost like the round grows beyond the size of the chamber but that sound kinda rediculous.

Also we tried 78-79-75 grains and accuracy is pretty terrible. I got behind the wheel and best is doing 3.5 at 100yards. No brake on this rifle makes me really, really appreciate mine.

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sticky bolt problems

What type of rifle is it?

Dogdinger and I fought the same problem with a Savage. The little wedge that the bolt cams against to start the cartridge back out of the chamber had worn to the point that it wasn't pulling the cartridge free. We shimmed the wedge and everything was fine.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

Rem 700, totally stock, brand new
Old 08-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Bronze Member

i am having the same problem with my 30-378. I just had a hart barel installed and the bolt lift is fine but very hard to extract the empty. no pressure signs just hard to pull bolt back. also having to tap bolt on ocassions.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Tried factory ammo reg brass,same problem.

Checked to make sure base screws were not hitting bolt and nothing was wrong with the front screw on the front base.

So we called Remington and due to time constraints he suggested going to Gander Mountain because they are a factory service center.

Smith suggests that headspace could be wrong. Well I know how to check it to set up a die but what are the specs from the factory?

I'm not buying the headspace theory but what do I know.

Scratches are evident almost all the way around brass.

Anyone think of anything else?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Check these items:
  • Clean your chamber with brake cleaner.
  • Clean all the lube off your handloads
  • Use anti-sieze lube on your bolt shroud threads and cam
  • Lift bolt handle fully and with a quick snap
That will do it 90% of the time, if not your handloads may be too hot, regardless of what your reloading manual says. I have several rifles in the same caliber, and some develope pressure much quicker that others.

- Innovative
Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies..Bass Pro picked up the ball and shipped it to a smith and provided 1 day turn around. Helps to be tight with the hunting dept. manager.

Will let you know what we find out.
Grin