Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sticky Bolt after 3rd-4th shot on brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Sticky Bolt after 3rd-4th shot on brass

Longrange,

What dies are you using? I had a similar problem with my custom lapua. New and once fired brass were fine, bolt wasn't stiff extracting. 3rd time was a different story. I could still get the brass out easy enough, but it was very stiff, even after I backed off the load plenty. I re-sized them with a FL Forster match die. Chambered a freshly sized round and it was stiff closing the bolt and lifting. Shoulder was bumped back .002". Bumped back farther, still stiff. After talking to the guys on here, I had two possibilities; my chamber was too tight due to a worn reamer, or my die wasn't sizing the cases correctly. I figured on the latter since I could still place a case into the die when I took out the expander ball. It would only size the neck, the body of the case wouldn't touch the body if the die. bought a Redding body die and solved the issue. It sized the cases like it was supposed to. I guess it took a few firings to expand the case enough to make it extract more difficult. Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Gold Member

I have seen this before with my F-Class 7WSM and with a competitor's 7SAUM. We were both using brass that had between 3-4 firings (me) and 2-3 firings (him). Neither of us had trimmed the brass and it had begun to encroach into the lead. Chambered fine, but would not extract and showed pressure problems. If you have not check the length of your brass or trimmed recently, its well worth the time it takes to put a couple of pieces into a micrometer and look at the length.

Jeffvn
Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangeBangin View Post
I appreciate all the feed back. I have looked over some of the like threads, but I am not seeing anything remotely close to my problem. My problem is very consistant. Get a few shots on the brass, and they start sticking without changing anything. I have never had a problem with a new or once fired brass sticking, even with shooting a hotter load when I was developing loads.
The case mouths looks fine, and I can easily insert a bullet by hand in a spent case. Forgive me for being in the minor leagues here, but how do I push the necks back further when I am running a FL resizer? Invest in a neck resizer?
Maybe so but the recommendations you're getting are similar if not the same.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Silver Member

I haven't had any direct experience with the 338 Lapua but I think If I had this problem I would get a body die and try it.

Redding Body Die 338 Lapua Mag
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Bronze Member

Once fired brass measurement .200 up from extractor groove .584
3-4 shot brass measurement .200 up from extractor groove .588
(using calipers)
* On a side note. Brass that was hard to extract, after I resize, chambers in the rifle as easy as new brass. But pull the trigger and it is now harder to extract then previous fire......

Again I appreciate all the help on this.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangeBangin View Post
Once fired brass measurement .200 up from extractor groove .584
3-4 shot brass measurement .200 up from extractor groove .588
(using calipers)
* On a side note. Brass that was hard to extract, after I resize, chambers in the rifle as easy as new brass. But pull the trigger and it is now harder to extract then previous fire......

Again I appreciate all the help on this.

What's the measurement on the extractor groove itself (if you can get your caliper in there and check new/ofb and compare? Other than a new full body die... don't laugh... but... what about a thin layer of EWG (Extreme Weapons Grease from SLIP2000)? I've never personally had this problem yet, but if I did everything else and you felt that the pressures were safe and it was just being a butt head on extracting, I might try a thin layer of EWG? I use that stuff on all my assault rifles and supposedly it can take a lot of pressures and temperature. I would think you would want a really thin layer of it (when I use it on my bolts and barrels, it only takes a very small amount and after it sits for about 10 minutes, you wipe it off and only a micro thin film is left in the metal). Slip 2000 - EWL

Of course if you can solve your problem via proper die adjustment, case and chamber condition. And if anyone thinks this is a bad suggestion, PLEASE speak up.

I find that a little EWG in the surface of my barrel, gives me a little more velocity and keeps it from getting as dirty. SLIP2000 makes a lot of claims, that I have seen. Though they don't mention resolving extractor problems (that are not sizing/case problems), makes me wonder if it might help???

Anyone else using EWG in their barrel or on their bolt?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Bronze Member

Hey LRB...

I was reading some other threads and came across a thread about why Norma brass was sticking and new Lapua brass didn't. At first it was a funny read, because to me Lapua brass is superior to Norma in my opinion. Anyway, you might want to read the thread: NORMA 338 Lapua brass VS Lapua ! Hmmmm?

As it turns out, another member had the same problem and suggested that the Norma brass is softer and explains why he saw the sticking case problem sooner and that eventually the same thing would happen to the Lapua brass. Anyway he then explains what he did and some other things to try...

Exerpt from the thread:
I can tell you exactly what the problem is because I had the same thing happen with my 338Lapua Mag Imp.
Your sizing die is not sizing the web area of your cases enough, the only reason it is happening on your Norma cases first is because they are softer than the Lapua cases but sooner or later it will happen to the Lapua cases too.
The solution to this problem that I found was to have a custom reamer made and have my barrel cut off and re-chambered, if you dont want to go this extreme try a different sizing die that may size down the web area a bit more.
UB