Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sticky Bolt after 3rd-4th shot on brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Bronze Member

Sticky Bolt after 3rd-4th shot on brass

I am having a problem with cases sticking, and a heavy bolt lift after about the 3rd-4th shot on a piece of brass. Ejection is flawless on new and once fired brass, but gets a little sticky on the 3rd shot, and progressively gets worse the more I shoot on that piece of brass. By the time I have 4-5 shots or so on a particular piece of brass, I maybe cycling the bolt up and down 3-4 times before the case can be extracted. 3rd shot may show signs of an ejector mark on case head , 4th shot starts to show scrapes on case head from like ejector scraping on it. Thanks for the help...Heres the info on my shooter.
Savage 110 338 Lapua
Lapua Brass
Berger 300 gr OTM
85 gr H1000
.008 off the lans (Hunting rifle and they barely fit in the clip)
RCBS Dies
FL Resizing
Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sticky Bolt after 3rd-4th shot on brass

See similar threads below!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

Probably you need to bump the shoulder back a bit more than you are.

Annealing of the neck/shoulder area of the case after 4 firings should also help.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

We all know that scenario.....

Bench Source makes a fine annealing machine, Graf's has them in stock btw. Be prepared to fork over 500 bucks however.

It's the price of shooting a magnum round..............

I think I'd switch to Redding bushing dies, the set with the body die.

I's also be watching the case mouth for cracks...... 4 bangs and it's getting workhardened.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Bronze Member

I appreciate all the feed back. I have looked over some of the like threads, but I am not seeing anything remotely close to my problem. My problem is very consistant. Get a few shots on the brass, and they start sticking without changing anything. I have never had a problem with a new or once fired brass sticking, even with shooting a hotter load when I was developing loads.
The case mouths looks fine, and I can easily insert a bullet by hand in a spent case. Forgive me for being in the minor leagues here, but how do I push the necks back further when I am running a FL resizer? Invest in a neck resizer?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Couple questions and couple facts.

1. How far are you bumping the shoulders back now on the brass sized 4x?

2. What is body size dimension change about .200 above extractor groove from virgin brass to 4x fired as compared to FL sized brass? KEY ISSUE here.

You can measure 3-4x with caliper to get an average, but blade micrometer is better.

Facts

1. Annealing has nothing to do with extraction, especially in your case. You anneal the case neck for uniformity of neck tension on seating bullets.

2. Bumping the shoulders back will not solve extraction issues UNLESS you are not doing it enough to have smooth chambering. If you have smooth chambering, then shoulder bump is not your issue.

Shoulder and case neck issues cause hard chambering, not extraction normally.

My bet is you have an issue between your chamber specs and the FL size die you are using. Your chamber might be on the outer end of SAAMI while and the size die is the same and you are not getting any/very much body sizing if any at all. Many times, this is where your hard extraction is coming from if not way overpressure. Normally, size dies tend to be on the small end of SAAMI, to allow enough sizing to chamber everything.

My bet is this is the issue, and you need another size die or Redding body die.

Redding body die ($27) would be what I would go with first. Your body dimension changes will tell you if that is the issue.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 12-02-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Bronze Member

I am a limitless lost on knowing how much I am bumping the shoulders back. I do know that as cases start to get a little sticky ( lets say on the 3rd shot) I have resized them and they chambered easily. But when shot, they were more progressively worse to extract then the previous shot out of the case. I will get some specs for you on some of the dimensions on some new, once fired, and cases with 3-4 shots on them. Thanks for the help. Your all in an entirely different league then me. Thanks for the patience.