Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sticky bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sticky bolt

I doubt its extraction, w/a Mod 70 you'd have to be racking them out pretty hard.

Dented by a tiny foot ball, folded like when one stole sister's soda. Talk about a high tech dialog! The sad part of it is I know whatcha mean. But I'm probably visualizing it larger than it really is. Still may be a leak past the case mouth?????

Anyone perusing this have a pic? I've seen/caused dents in the shoulder due to too much lube and have seen the neck folded in a bit from pressure leak but don't have any examples.

GM Top Engine cleaner. About 7 bucks for a can at the GM parts store. Learned it from this board somewhere. Pretty sweet stuff. Major rapid powder residue removal. Same ingredients as some popular bore cleaner and a bunch less expensive.

I run it through to clean out the powder fouling prior to using Wipeout to get the copper. I don't have the accelerator for the Wipeout so I let it set over night.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

It did come out hard, when it broke loose. Not real hard, but I flipped it behind me, instead of just dropping it in my hand.

The case mouth has two crescent shaped indents, about 1/16". Makes the case mouth look like a clover leaf with the indents blended together. The indents run down the neck a big 1/8".
Old 01-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

Im a little confused here, are we talking factory loads, or handloads?
Is there a heavy carbon ring just ahead of the chamber? If so, it can be removed by a little elbow grease and some JB's, but don't get overly aggresive, nor move that rod too fast.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

I'll email a smith and get him on this.

Sounding more and more like "blow by" but in a pattern that is a bit confusing.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Bronze Member

On my rem 700 chambered in 270 win just about every piece of brass that I have fired has dents around the shoulder neck area, when I started reloading for it I was culling them out but I wound up not having enough brass to mess with, so I bought some new winchester brass.

Out of all my brass the new is the only brass that doesn't have the dents in it, and I'm on my fourth or fifth reload with it.

All of the factory loads were winchester 130 gr soft points or federal premium 130 gr ballistic tips.

All of my reloads are 140 gr nosler ballistic tips in front of 58gr of H4831sc with CCI250 primers and the last 25 or so with 140 gr accubonds. I have loaded about 10 Sierra 90 gr varmiteers,but I discarded that brass.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Bryan D,

You have a problem......
Old 01-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

grit/Bryan D,

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] There should never be dents in any part of the case either before or after firing. Any dents, dings, splits, grainy looking brass ahead of the web, etc, always indicates a problem of some type.

Here are some examples from the Speer #9 reloading manual. Hope I don't get sued [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Results of too much lube:

Freebore and too slow of a powder: