Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sticky bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Sticky bolt

While shooting today I had the bolt stick a little. The handle rotated freely, but when I tried to pull it back it stuck. I pulled harder and it came free. I inspected the case, and found a ring indented about .01 from the end of the shell. This was a factory load.

I have a couple hundred once fired cases of this same ammo. I inspected them, and found a similar ring on many.
I next measured them, and found them to be three thousandths over trim length, and well under listed max length.

I've concluded my chamber neck is .01 or so short. I would like second opinions.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sticky bolt

Grit,

What are you shooting ? gun/ammo. Is it possible you are talking about the factory crimp ? Describe this " ring " , is it a bright mark on the brass or is it a regular indentation around the case mouth ?

If I understand you correctly you have fired a couple hundred of these with out any problem. You may just need to clean your lug recess , cause you might have some " grit " in there [image][/image] Sorry , I couldn't help myself , I mean hunting season is over and i have to wait another year and what am I gonna do [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Jim B.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

grit,

You didn't say which end of the shell?

I'm supposing that it was on the case mouth end.

Simple test: Take one of the cases that has the ring. Will a bullet drop through the mouth to the bottom. Just fall, no push?

If no, cases are too long. If cases are in spec for length, then something is too short [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Then try a brand new case that has been chamfered/deburred and full length resized.

Also your once fired cases should be the same cartridge for the chamber. Not something like an 30-06 full lenght resized to a 25-06. There may be an intermediate step that you should be aware of.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Got me! That was funny.

Ok, the ring I'm seeing is the factory crimp [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Caliber 270 win. Rifle winchester 70.

Bullet will not drop through once fired case. Loaded factory ammo neck = .305
once fired neck = .308
resized neck = .302

I actually felt a little stick on three or four of twenty. This one stuck hard.

Barrel did not get hot.
No scarfing I can see.
Primer looks the same.
Expansion is the same as others.
Case length is the same.

Only difference I can see is the case mouth is bent, like it buckled in.

It was quite cold. 15 degrees. Maybe the case mouth buckled due to the extreme temp change? Caused out of round and a pinch?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Ok, I've been there and done that, but don't have the guts to wear the tee shirt [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

When the rifle is fired one of the first things that happens is that the case streches, gets longer. This is even before the bullet leaves the case mouth.

If the case is too long it hits the end of the chamber and folds in uniformily gripping the bullet before it can leave the case. Thus pressure goes up depending on the strength of the grip on the bullet.

Thus the test of, will a bullet drop back through the case mouth after firing.

If the above conditions exist, it is not a safe situation.

Also, from your case measurements, it may be that your chamber is short or the distance from shoulder to end of neck is short on the chamber.

You'll want to figure that out.

BTW, my experience was with a 270 Win and 130 gr bullet also.

But, on the other hand if the neck is buckled it may be a whole different story. By buckling I mean what the shoulder looks like when you put too much lube on when resizing.

If your getting a dimple on the neck that looks something like a small football has been pressed into it, gasses getting back past the case mouth may be indicated. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] With the sticky bolt being due only to the deformed case neck.

If that's the case I'd recommend contacting any of the rifle smiths on the board with the question.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

You got me, but is it possible that the case necks are getting dented on extraction and/or ejection?
Old 01-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Guts?

A little lite work with the deburring tool allowed bullets to drop in. Tightness was only an hundredth or so.

Dent is like you squished a straw, to put in another straw to make a long straw, to steal your sisters soda. I've seen case mouth dents before. Always attributed them to extraction. Likely as not the case here.

I'll clean 'er up. I've always kept this gun well cleaned. Prior to the days shooting, I cleaned it in the evening. Let it soak over night, and finished in the morning. I use Tetra gun copper solvent. I've noticed on a handgun, the carbon can be stubborn. Is there something more effective for carbon, (carbuerator cleaner?) I should be using in my regular cleanings?

Is it possible my choice of solvent is allowing carbon build up,in the slightly more open neck? I would expect the neck and throat to be cleaned along with the bore. Do they require seperate attention? How do you clean them?