Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sticking bolt..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Sticking bolt..?

22-250 caliber custom. Called the smith and just happen to get him on his mobil phone and he tells me its because he chambered it with MINIMUM chamber for headspace control ( I think thats what he said???)

Reloaded ammo or factory fresh, the bolt goes closed to within 3/8-1/2 inch and then stops...dead. Sometimes I can RAM the bolt home ...other times NADA...no way. Im told I have to move the shoulder back just a tiny bit ( ????) Im using Lee brand dies in this caliber, and they get screwed into the Rockchuker until they hit the shell plate and then "about" 1/4 turn more. Other than that...Im lost??
Old 11-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sticking bolt..?

If you intend to shoot factory ammo on occassion, now would be the time to correct it. He can simply ream the chamber forward another .001-.00?" depending on where it's at now.

If you're FL sizer is already bottoming out on the ram and the HS length of your cartridge is still too long, then you may have to modify the die, or purchase a bump die such as this...
Bushing Bump Neck Sizing Die

-- richard
Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sticking bolt..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
If you intend to shoot factory ammo on occassion, now would be the time to correct it. He can simply ream the chamber forward another .001-.00?" depending on where it's at now.

If you're FL sizer is already bottoming out on the ram and the HS length of your cartridge is still too long, then you may have to modify the die, or purchase a bump die such as this...
Bushing Bump Neck Sizing Die

-- richard

I have my die adjusted so that a casing should is set back enough to chamber / function properly...but your right about factory ammo..! Smith tells me the chamber is at min headspace...so Im going to talk to him AGAIN and get him to remove "X" amount so that I can at least chamber a factory round,.