Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stevens 200 accuracy problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Bronze Member

Stevens 200 accuracy problems

I started handloading for my Stevens 200 in .308 w/ 165 gr gamekings and 47gr of BL-C2. Its getting 2675FPS at the barrel. What concerns me is that I can't get a group inside 2MOA at 100 yards. I love the rifle and its knocked down 3 deer this year alone. But what can I do to bring that group in? Or is the Model 200 not meant to be a MOA shooter?

ANy help would be appreciated.

thanks

Lucas Greff

Last edited by lucasgreff; 01-02-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Did you typo the velocity? It should be in the range fo 2600-2700fps or a little more depending on barrel length? If it's not a typo, can you trust the chrono?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Lucas,

That's a bummer! Do those deer have powder burns on the hides..;)

There are plenty of Savage/Stevens shooters on here that have done much work with those rifles. Hopefully they will chime in and give some advice.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Bronze Member

Sorry yes its firing at 2675. Very consistetly too.
thanks for noticing. That would have been an easy question to answer at that point.
thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

First things first.

Have you cleaned (really cleaned) the barrel? Completely down to bare metal, then an oil patch , then some fouling shots?

#2) How is the crown? A small burr can really make a difference, use a Q-tip and see if it hangs up at all when dragged out each land.

#3) How close to the lands are you seating your bullet? Some bullets I use need to be really close (like .003" from the lands) others need to be further (like .020") to shoot well.

#4) Cases, are all your cases the same? Same number of shots, same length, all been trimmed square etc.

Thats just a few things that are easy to check to start with.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Bronze Member

I spent 8 years in the Military. It was broke in properly and cleaned after after every 30 rounds since then. 200 Total rounds through Barrel.

I had a muzzle Brake installed so the crown is protected from damage. A q-tip does not stick

I seat the bullet so its just touching the lands. I used a match to blacken the tip and kept seating further out until I had a small ring on the tip of the bullet and then backed it out just a bit.

All cases are once fired winchester rounds with winchester primers. A cases were full length sized when I got them and are length checked with my LEE set and the chamfered inside and out.

If you see any flaws in my system please tell me. I only started reloading this year and am using advice from Local and internet sources. Except for the breaking in and cleaning of my rifle. I take great pride in that.

thanks

Lucas
Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

How does it group without the brake?

I'd also try seating them a little deeper. If you are really close to the lands, some of the bullets may actually be touching while others are not (not good for accuracy).

Those are the 2 things I'd try right off the bat.

Also, what copper remover do you use on your barrel?

How much are the cases growing after firing? How much are you pushing the shoulder back during FL resizing?

AJ