Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Start Of Attempt At Accuracy in SKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Start Of Attempt At Accuracy in SKS

Anybody here tried to get accuracy out of the 7.62X39mm in a SKS? Not that it will be great but it's a winter project to get more accurate at long ranges.

Any ideas or loads would be appreciated.

Joe Oakes
Old 09-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

Re: Start Of Attempt At Accuracy in SKS

I'm no expert, but I don't think that I've ever seen a sentance with accuracy and SKS in the same sentance.

If I were you shoot the sks for fun, and buy an AR-15. I've got a AR with a 18" krieger barrel on it and that thing can shoot 50gr NBT's with a load of varget behind them!!! In fact that is the first gun I have ever shot a one hole group at a 100yds with.

good luck, and keep us posted with how the sks project goes, sorry i couldn't be more help.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Gold Member

Joe,
Unfortunately he is right. I am sure that there are some out there which will shoot pretty tight compared to others. Hell mine shot great using the Norinco ammo I used to be able to get. However, it cannot be had anymore. I have been using some Wolf stuff lately which will hold a decent pattern at 50 yds. LOL

The main problem is the bores of the barrel and the diameters of the bullets hardly ever match up. These things were made for spraying and praying not driving tacks.

They are a hoot to shoot though and are hell on wheels for hog hunting. We genrally have at least one with us most of the time when we head out to check on things. They have taken their fair share of the pork over the past years.

Good luck on your project.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 09-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Bronze Member

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ster/index.asp
Old 09-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

They suck for accuracy ...just like the Mini-14!
I have never ever seen either do better than 3-4 MOA at 100 yds. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

I have a Russian "52" SKS that will flat shoot! With the open sights and marginal trigger, i can put them into a 2" spot. All i did was clean it up and shoot. I was real surprised to say the least. The Chink ones i have shot were no more than pop corn machines.

"Let the good times roll"
Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Bronze Member

I've never tried to accurize an SKS but I would imagine you could do the following:

-Get a unfinished hand guard and give it a tight fit to the lower stock thus keeping the barrel in the same position at all times.

-Try to fit the stock to the stock retaining peice under the gas block to give the stock/action/barrel a tighter fit.

- Get a trigger job.

- Bed the action.

- Firelap the piss out of the barrel

- Reload your own rounds for it

- Attach a "Tech Site TS200" sight which is more like the M-14 sights, and will also give you a longer sight radius.

- Install a recoil buffer

Thats about all I can think of, but I doubt your going to get any kind of real accuracy out of it, although I wish you the best with your project.