Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stainless Tumbling Media... anyone use this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Stainless Tumbling Media... anyone use this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSickle View Post
One more thing about STM co., I get on LRH and give a glowing report for Stainless Steel Media. I mention one little drawback about the pins sticking in the primer pocket and the necks. Not often, but once in a while. I get an PM from someone named Trevor, who apparently works for STM and he wants to make it right with me. Really? I wasn't even griping about it. What a company!! STM for president!!
I found that I'm only getting the pins stuck in the primer holes of Winchester brand brass, FWIW, and 25 caliber necks.

Just an observation - if you note the same I'd be interested in hearing it.

PS the stainless media works great for making original but used GM temperature senders look like new, too.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSickle View Post
One more thing about STM co., I get on LRH and give a glowing report for Stainless Steel Media. I mention one little drawback about the pins sticking in the primer pocket and the necks. Not often, but once in a while. I get an PM from someone named Trevor, who apparently works for STM and he wants to make it right with me. Really? I wasn't even griping about it. What a company!! STM for president!!
What a great company! I stopped at the mailbox on the way home from work and low and behold, there's a package from STM. They, (Trevor) sent me a package of SS media! I didn't ask or complain about their product, they just wanted to make sure I had no problems with their product. I'll pay this one forward. Chuck.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Bronze Member

Tyey be a good place to do buisness with, when this all started they were having trouble with the media stiking in the 260, cause I own one he warne me about some sticking but this is the new size an if you have any trouble call me. None was the call an I gues it is still the same as it still works for me an the lord only knows how many loads of brass it has cleaned. You are rite Vette they be exzelent to work with.
geno
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

I just got mine last week and noticed the same thing about the media getting caught sidways in the neck of my 25-06 brass. Is this common and is the new SS their comming out with in April supposed to do away with this problem? Thank's, Brad
Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM

Occasionally a pin will stick in a case here and there, mostly in the smaller calibers like 22 up to 6.5. Just inspect each case with a AA Maglite, I use a bent paper clip with a small hook to free them and then throw those pins away. Out of 100 cases I may have up to a dozen, more so in hornet cases. SST is the real deal for like new brass that needs no primer pocket cleaning or polishing, good stuff, Waidmannsheil, Dom.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
I just got mine last week and noticed the same thing about the media getting caught sidways in the neck of my 25-06 brass. Is this common and is the new SS their comming out with in April supposed to do away with this problem? Thank's, Brad
I've run a few loads of Wby 257 Mag cases this week, and about half of them have a pin or 3 that get stuck side ways when you first take them out. There are a few that stick as well when you remove the pins. I did a 7mm Wby load tonight and they just run out like water - far easier.

The worst is probably 25-06 Winchester brass - the pins stick in both ends!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Bronze Member

Just got a new thumbler tumbler s/s kit from sinclair but no instructions on brass prep. Easy to set up. How much water in the drum ? How do you seperate the ss media from water and brass? The only instructions I got was for polishing rocks ! Thanks, Dan

Found info on another thread. Going to try it tonight.

Last edited by danj; 04-03-2012 at 08:50 PM.