Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stainless Tumbling Media... anyone use this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Stainless Tumbling Media... anyone use this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
can you use a conventional tumbler and get this new SS media? or is it hard on things and you need a different tumbler? sorry for the beginner question but i know nothing about this SS media.
No, it needs to be the rotary drum type, vibratory will not work.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight755 View Post
Bill,

Does the ultrasonic get all the crud out of the inside of the case as well as the primer pocket and flash hole? Also how long do you have to leave them in the ultrasonic bath? If its just as good then I'm all about saving money (the more I can save the more I can spend on my rifle). Thanks for the reply, BK
Yes, 8 minutes per 50 rounds ,1 tablespoonful lemishine and 5 drops of Dawn 32 oz water. Every bit of crud is out and the brass is perfectly clean. To get that polished look, I put it in the Walnut with nu finish for 30 minutes. Absolutely look brand new.

Bill
Old 03-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight755 View Post
Thanks for the reply Geno. I got an email from them saying that they had the problem solved and that the new cleaning media (pins) would be available in April. I am leaning toward trying them out especially after they said if I got their product, used it and found out it wouldnt work for me they would make it right. I dont know if that meant they would refund my money or what but I think they will do the right thing...
The new shipment of pins will work for all caliber sizes including 6.5mm/ .260 You will be happy with the results and if the results are not what the pictures on the website show then we'll make sure we do all we can do to get you those results. It is a wet tumble but letting the brass dry overnight will make sure it is nice and dry. It may be a little different process then what some are used to but once you see the results you'll be as happy as a two tailed dog!!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

My Tumbler and Stainless Media showed up this afternoon, could not wait. Took about 15 minutes to unpack and set up the machine, very simple, good directions, looks well built.

Just so happens I had some brass to clean. I started with about 75 rounds of .300 Wby and .375 H&H Cases, the Weatherby is Nickle. I deprimed with a new Lee depriming die; which is the best decapping die I have ever used and I am a Redding man!. Followed the directions with Ivory soap and the Lemi-shine that I ordered with it. Progress as follows:

1 hours - Outside bright and shinny, inside better than my traditional tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner, primer pockes dirty.

2 hours - Outside like new, inside much better still a little black hear and there in primer pockets ,improved but not perfect

2.5 hours- Outstid like new, inside pretty much new, a few primer pockets with minor fouling, not much

3.00 hours- Just about perfect all the way around, stopping. Could possibly use slightly longer for the primer pockets a hint of black hear and there.

All cases inspected with mag glass. It's a bit time consuming to set up, use and drain, not much more than conventional media. As opposed to the Ultrasonic, primer pockets are cleaner and brass is highly polished no need to tumble traditionaly. I see no need to clean primer pockets after this which will save a step and what I was looking for. Looking forward to using on some real dirty brass in the near future. All in, good system, well built and works as advertised on those primer pockets. Will run the nex batch the recomended 4 hours.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Thanks to all who have posted replies and comments and a special thanks to Digger for the time and progress review. I think I have enough info to go ahead and make the purchase but feel free to keep on making any replies and comments so that others may get information. I plan to post my comments when I do make the purchase and get a chance to use the cleaning system.

Thanks again, BK.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

I tried the media with 1 teaspoon of lemi shine available at target, walmart and various stores. You can get a free sample online. I also added 1 tablespoon of dawn soap and filled the container 3/4 full. I used a horzonal tumbler available at Harbor Freight. ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW WITHIN 1 HOUR CARBON REMOVED AND BRASS CLEAN READY TO LOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM MOST SATISFIED NOW i DON'T HAVE TO CLEAN OUT PRIMER POCKETS WITH CORN COB MEDIA. AND NO CARBON TO DEAL WITH.

i HAVE THE SONIC CLEANER AND HAVE USED IT, THE WALNUT MEDIA AND CORNCOB MEDIA FOR VIBRATORY BRASS CLEANER AND POLISHERS. NOTHING COMPARES TO THE SS MEDIA WITH A HORIZONTAL TUMBLER. REUSABLE MEDIA AND LESS CARBON MAKES ME HAPPY.

WORKS FOR ME
ODAVID
Focus your attention on the obstacles you have over came in your life. The question is did you overcome these obstacles all by yourself??? If you think you did (“self made man”) you are wrong and your obstacles will grow stronger and will be repeatedly repeated until you realize just how truly feeble you really are. Give credit to your Creator and ask for his guidance in overcoming future obstacles. .-RD ORR
Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Gold Member

How do you guys deal with drying your brass?
thanks
retiredcpo