Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stable Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Stable Powder

Wow, you may have said this and i am just to dumb to realize it, but so if i load a batch of ammo when is the pressure and volocities going to be higher? My thought is that its during the summer but i want to make sure.

GG you said somethin about win748 being more effected by the temp, is that correct, if so what powder should i shift to.

I want to kinda clarify something too. I use my rifles as tools, to hunt and control verman. I dont spend anytime trying to make tiny little groups. I got into loading because i figured it was going to decrease my expenditures on ammo. Which it has. This winter is going to be my time to do some shooting (small groups) that i will not have later on. However my main point to this is to get a better feel for my rifles so i can extend my effective range of fire and to have a load that will work and get my rifles zeroed to it.

DOnt take this wrong guys and Thank you.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
if i load a batch of ammo when is the pressure and volocities going to be higher? My thought is that its during the summer but i want to make sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. HIgher heat=higher pressure in this case.

[ QUOTE ]
GG you said somethin about win748 being more effected by the temp, is that correct, if so what powder should i shift to.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was Bill Bailey but yes, he was correct. Usually, ball powders are more prone to temperature velocity shifts and 748 is a ball powder. As for making a powder recommendation for what you are doing, I would say to load up and tinker with your Winter loads for fun or learning, but DO NOT FIRE THESE IN SUMMER if you are even anywhere near max pressure.

There are many great powders in this burn rate. Pick an extruded one and let the gun tell you if it likes it. For kicks, try some ball powder too. It all boils down to how much tinkering you want to do this winter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:22 PM

robins

So...in the final analysis....if you want loads you can shoot YEAR ROUND safely......load such for a HOT SUMMER DAY! Down here....that's anywhere from 104F to 112F!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 04:31 PM
SPONSOR

I loaded up some Nosler 55gr BTs on top of W760 in my .243. I chronoed the load when it was about 40 F outside and they chronoed @ just under 4000 fps. This summer, when it was about 90 F, they chronoed @ over 4200 fps!!!! Needless to say I didn't shoot too many of them after I saw that!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Ok thanks guys it sounds like i hae to just make some time during the summer to tinker alittle. I dont think it matters to much though because i dont load near max, however i dont know what i will end up doing yet this winter.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 PM

Golly geewhiz Batman

Goodgrouper,

"All the magical coatings and fairy dust in the world cannot do a thing to change this to a degree that would make enough difference to us."

Actually, those little coatings that they dream up can actually make more velocity as the temperature decreases. You sound like one of those types that does not believe H2O expands as its temp decreases below 39 f. just because most solids contract as they cool and expand as they warm.

Try looking at the New 869 data with the 50 BMG. Since smokeless powder deflagrates instead of detonating, the oxidation rate is quite controllable with coatings. Its not marketing hype, just better chemistry. As long as the velocity stays within 30 to 40 fps, you are well within the barrel harmonics capability to compensate for a large portion of vertical dispersion due to small differences in gravity drop.

Have a nice day.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

You are right, some ball powders can actually increase velocity as temperature drops- even more reason to tell a guy to try and develop winter and summer loads right!?

[ QUOTE ]
Since smokeless powder deflagrates instead of detonating, the oxidation rate is quite controllable with coatings. Its not marketing hype, just better chemistry.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are talking about making powders controllable and consistent in regards to relative quickness which is definetly true. I would hope that each can of H???? is as close to the same burn rate as the last bottle or lot number. What we were talking about here is how temperature fluctuations can and do change pressures. I did not invent this fact of internal ballistics. This is a well documented principle of internal ballistics 101. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If there were a propellant out there that was consistent in pressure from 0 to 120 degrees F, wouldn't it be in the best interest of especially the military to find it? Yet, they load their ammo in similair fashions to us (although they have differing pressure specs than SAAMI).
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.