Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

splitting case necks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 PM

splitting case necks

This is my first post and I could really use some expert help.

I am slightly new to reloading. I understand the basics, but do not know enough information or have the tools required to find out certain things. I am currently using a .308 Rem. 700 police action on an AI stock. I started reloading 155 gr HPBT with re-15. I have never loaded up to the maximums I have found in all the reloading data I have. this weekend I went out and ran through about 15 rounds and found that 2/3 of the case necks split. Not only this, but at 600 yards my rounds were all over the place. I am not saying I am an expert marksman, but every time my rounds were hitting low. So i would raise my elevation, shoot, then it would continue to be low. at least 7 times I raised my elevation, but still hit low of the target. I pulled one of the rounds when I got home and found that the powder was around 42.6 to 42.8 grains. Can someone just give me an idea if they might know what is happening?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: splitting case necks

Your brass is hard and you need to either anneal the necks or toss it. As for hitting low where you just holding over? If so you've come to the right place to get straitened out, folks here will get you lined out pretty well on better methods, and don't forget to drink your cup of humble when you go shooting.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

Wow, where to start?
first, find an old grey beard at your shooting range/club. get to know him/her, ask for help. and learn how to anneal and trim brass, it's not hard to do.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Another newbie here. What does "anneal" mean? Please forgive the ignorance
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBlkCld View Post
Another newbie here. What does "anneal" mean? Please forgive the ignorance
You put the case in a flame for a small period of time (anywere from 5-15 seconds depending on the temp of the flame and how hot you want to get your cases) so it softens the case. You only want to soften the neck, softening the head will cause some serious safety problems. Do a search to get a much more detailed answer.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Gold Member

I strongly urge you to buy several reloading manuals and READ them. Without basic information you are headed for a really hard time in loading.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
I strongly urge you to buy several reloading manuals and READ them. Without basic information you are headed for a really hard time in loading.
Very good advice. Also, to learn more about annealing go here:

The Art and Science of Annealing