Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Speeding up my reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: Speeding up my reloading

I really like my Hornady Auto Charge.The way I've found to help prevent overcharges is,make sure it is on a level surface.If you continue to have problems,adjust the speed.If that doesn't help,add a sheet or two of paper under the two legs on the dispense end.This will usually eliminate the overcharges.Once you get her set up,you can really load up the cases fast.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

ive got both a pact and a lyman dispensor. both work fine. I like the pact a little better but mostly because it was my first and im better at operating it. Yes you might be just as fast or faster with a good measure and a scale and trickling the last bit in but the time savings with a dispensor comes in that while your dispensing the charge you can be seating the bullet in the one you just did. Dont let anyone tell you they dont save time. Now if you are just going to charge a case block full of cases a measure might be quicker. But why would you even want to do it that way.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Gold Member

one more thing as to them not giving consistant charges. Mine give charges plus or miuns a .1 of a grain and thats plenty consistant enough for even accuracy work for an anal person. Once in maybe 20 charges you get one that is off and have to dump it back but that sure doenst make it a deal breaker.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Bronze Member

I love the chargemaster x3 faster than thrower/beam/trickle....occasionalaly throws over but just use the little brush ( included) and pull out the tenth grain and your good to go.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

How fast are you at present??? I can dump trickle 50 rounds and seat the pills in a half hour including powder measure set up and seating die re-set. I just did 150 rounds 7 stw a couple of nights ago and 150 rounds was an hour and 20 minutes. I don't think I want to be much faster than that.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Bronze Member

I did two 50 round batches this weekend and it took me about 30-35 min to scoop, trickle, and dump them.

I say scoop because i have an old lyman scoop set that have different volumes of scoops. Just find the one close and away i went. It worked really good this weekend for my .220. I found a scoop that was .3 grains away from my charge weight.

The problem is my magnums. They didn't have a scoop big enough and so i had to find two that would work together. At the end of the night my neck is sore, my table has remnants of powder from "spooning" it in, and it just wasn't relaxing....

Those 100 cases sat on my bench sized and prepped for almost 10 days. Not that i didn't have time to reload them..... Just because i wasn't looking forward to throwing the charges. I am hoping to make it a little easier. IF i don't save time but its easier then that is what im really would like.

Has anyone used the new Lyman gen 5?

Likes or dislikes????
Old 04-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_heli_logger View Post
Lee powder dippers ...
...someone had to say it
Pass. Maybe for a cocaine spoon.......