Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

speed VS Pressure question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

speed VS Pressure question

In all my reloading exsperiences the closer to the max you get the more speed you gain as you add powder EXAMPLE:
50 grains of powder gives you 2900FPS and for ever .5 grains you add 30-35fps until it gets close to max then it usually jumps so that your getting the same speed increase with .2 or .3 that you were with .5

I found my guns sweet spot and it was up at max and it shoots REALLY well. but when the temp goes up I have to back it off a little to stay safe for me and the gun. My Max load is shooting 3125 FPS with 50.3 grains of powder. on the same day I found my sweet spot with a smaller charge of 49.0 grains and it chrono's 3085 FPS. I just don't understand how I can take a max load back it off 1.3 grains and it only dropped 40fps??? anyone have an answer or am I looking into this way to much??
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

Re: speed VS Pressure question

Quit over thinking it. If shooting good enjoy it. Over the years have seen some odd things in reloading, I think sometimes it is just the culmination of the combination of gun, barrel, caliber, bullet, powder, etc. that gives oddities to scratch our heads over.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: speed VS Pressure question

Some combo's will plateau in velocity when you hit max. pressure. Powder burn often gets less efficient.
375's right... quit overthinking it. Get a big enough caliber that you can allow for temp. swings in your loading and shoot the pipe.