Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Speed vs BC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 PM

Speed vs BC?

I was loading rounds for my 243win. Disappointed in her apparent distaste for 107 Amax. But pleased with the performance of 90gr Bergers. It occurred to me if I shoot lighter bullets faster the less time gravity has to work on them. I primarily use the quarter bore for coyotes from muzzle to 5-600 yds. No complaints or issues with my pet loads (75gr amax and 90gr bergers) just curious when does BC trump velocity?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Speed vs BC?

It depends on your use for the cartridge.
If you are a dialer your primary objective is to get a lot of energy on target accurately at long range and the bigger and sleaker the pill, the better.
If you will be shooting offhand and/or shooting moving game time of flite and drop must also be considered. I personally don't like my time of flite to be any longer than necessary to get a pill downrange to put a hole through my target. I shoot big enough rounds that better drop and shorter time of flite offsets a harder hit rather well.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Alberta- you need to run the numbers for your individual loads. the 140 berger out of my 7mm is faster and flatter than the 168 for quite a ways. roninflag
Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

You have to run the numbers through ballistic software, as there is no rule of thumb.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguide View Post
I was loading rounds for my 243win. Disappointed in her apparent distaste for 107 Amax. But pleased with the performance of 90gr Bergers. It occurred to me if I shoot lighter bullets faster the less time gravity has to work on them. I primarily use the quarter bore for coyotes from muzzle to 5-600 yds. No complaints or issues with my pet loads (75gr amax and 90gr bergers) just curious when does BC trump velocity?
I'm a lil confused by the post

First anything over about 100-105gr out of a .243 needs a fast twist bbl to stabilize from what I've heard.
Second, a "quarterbore" is .25 cal not .243......

My personal opinion on "most but not all" rifle cartridges is it doesn't make a whole lot of difference out to 4-500yds speed vs BC. But the farther out you go, BC becomes king no matter what cartridge.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
It depends on your use for the cartridge.
If you are a dialer your primary objective is to get a lot of energy on target accurately at long range and the bigger and sleaker the pill, the better.
If you will be shooting offhand and/or shooting moving game time of flite and drop must also be considered. I personally don't like my time of flite to be any longer than necessary to get a pill downrange to put a hole through my target. I shoot big enough rounds that better drop and shorter time of flite offsets a harder hit rather well.
Pretty much what I do now. Heavy for caliber in my target loads and faster medium for big game, light weight for varmints. And yes I run all my loads thru AE ballistic and then compare to the findings to real world trigger time. My question was more out of curiosity than a request for advice and I know quarter bore is .257, late nights early mornings and 14 hour days takes a toll. (no I don't reload while tired)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Bronze Member

like the others said, run the numbers on your round. For me I almost always run heavy. The reason is I don't have as much of a problem with hitting what i'm shooting at from the vertical standpoint, it's the windage and in the wind game BC is always the best way to go.