Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sorting Brass by weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

Sorting Brass by weight

Would it make more sense to weigh your brass after trimming them all to the same length? Ultimately, we want to match the volume capacity of each case...right?
Thanks!
Steve
Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sorting Brass by weight

Yep,

Trim, Chamfer, turn necks, etc..... then sort by weight., Outside dimentions are the same, the only way to have consistant case capacity it to weigh after all the other variabloes are taken care of....

Dan
Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Weighing brass is merely a shortcut, and not a measure of capacity.
Not even indirectly..
The only way to know you're actually matching in H2O capacity is to measure it.

Not a difficult task really. The brass is fully prepped, fully fireformed, and unsized as prerequisite to measurement. Cases that depart from the pack at this point should be discarded.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

weight sorting is just fine for 99.9 percent of the shooter's i know.how many guys do you here about that measure the capacity by h20 volume. maybe benchrest guys that are worried about every thousands of an inch.

Dano1 post is right on the money.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all of the replies! I have read where folks are sorting by weight before doing any case prep and that didn't make sense to me...
Thanks again!
Steve
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

oneshotkyle,
-Do you have any basis for actual measurement of capacity being inferior to implication of it with brass weight?
-Do you realize that brass changes in capacity from new, to fire formed, to sized one way or another, all with zero change in brass weight?
-Do you understand that initial confinement has a significant affect on powder burn rate, peak pressures, and resultant MV?
-Have you measured H20 capacity of your cases, correlated each with their weight, Sized some of the cases and re-measured H20 capacities, again correlating to weight, and fired across an accurate chronograph to see results?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
oneshotkyle,
-Do you have any basis for actual measurement of capacity being inferior to implication of it with brass weight?
-Do you realize that brass changes in capacity from new, to fire formed, to sized one way or another, all with zero change in brass weight?
-Do you understand that initial confinement has a significant affect on powder burn rate, peak pressures, and resultant MV?
-Have you measured H20 capacity of your cases, correlated each with their weight, Sized some of the cases and re-measured H20 capacities, again correlating to weight, and fired across an accurate chronograph to see results?

MikeCR obviously you have by that statement.

Pick a cartridge you have some good data on show the variation in capacity from initial fireform to sized with your honed body die as that is your preferred method that alludes to show perpetual case life, absolutely no growth or variation of the case until the final firing before the bolt click etc etc.

All measurements on the same cases for at least 5 firings of each case?

what is that variation in grains of H2o for each of the 5 firings?

What is the variation in actual MV (not some computer WAG) with that variation for each time?

What chrono are you measuring it on and screen spacing?

I know everyone would be very interested. I know I have done small scale tests before and do not see the wild variations alleged. In almost every case the extra weight is in the base and virtual identical volumes. I am conducting a test right now on 100 pieces of brass and detailed measurements and data to include chrono and various sizing and sorting methods. So far not seeing it, but early stages so it might be there.

Really do want to see some real data that supports those positions. Might see something I need to include in my tests.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 01-26-2012 at 07:54 PM.