Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

sorting brass and bullet data for best accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: sorting brass and bullet data for best accuracy

jim and bart,amen to all.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Depends on the rifle I'm loading for, but case prep: trimmed, deburred, chamfered, flash hole deburred. After that if it's a rifle I expect a lot out of, I don't bother weight sorting because I buy very good bullets (Berger ect) and Nosler cases (sorted to 1gr) and just keep different lots separate and shoot one lot at a time. I've found that paying the price difference for better cases means consistent neck thicknesses, and the prep is done for you. I'm an ADD kid so well yea it helps.

For my general hunting rifles that MOA is good enough I do all the case prep but I won't bother with sorting anything.

Load workup is a biggie though, I look for accuracy nodes and load in the middle of the node, this in respect to both powder charge and seating depth. So far these methods have worked well for me, I have 2 rifles that do 1/2" at 200 regularly (my shooting can be quite a different story though) I'm pretty convinced that those 2 rifles will do better, but I hold them back.

Look up OCW
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Load workup is a biggie though, I look for accuracy nodes and load in the middle of the node, this in respect to both powder charge and seating depth. So far these methods have worked well for me, I have 2 rifles that do 1/2" at 200 regularly (my shooting can be quite a different story though) I'm pretty convinced that those 2 rifles will do better, but I hold them back.

Look up OCW
I also like to find a load without serious accuracy loss out of the "node" as you will invariably be out of the node in an extreme temperature. I'd rather see a load start at 1.25" and go to .75" at its best than a load that will top 2" out of node ansd hit .3" to .5" in the node. The load that's looser out of node will puke on you some day, whether extreme powder or not.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Yea in theory it could but, the only time I would be out in extreme temps with a rifle is hunting season, but I'll tell ya I don't have to hunt to fill the freezer now ;) so there's not much chance I'm gonna be hunting when it's that cold, if it's that hot I'm not shooting anyway. Their both something I do now simply because I enjoy it, those days of having to fill the freezer are long past.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Only range I've shot the same load in the same barrel in temperature extremes was with a .308 Win. ata 600 yards. At 25 degrees F and 95+ degrees F, only difference was an extra MOA up on the sight was needed in the sub freezing temperature. Accuracy was excellent in both.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

I'm one of those crazy's who likes to get out at near zero temps so I don't heat up the barrel and for the side benefit that no one else is out there. I've seen some crazy accuracy from some guns when the temp. nosedives and the next rifle will toss its cookies. I won't hunt a rig until I can confirm accuracy and repeatability in BOTH hot and cold temps.. Don't get me started on how BS hodgdon's extreme claim is. I've chrono'd at 0 and 100 degrees, and there isn't any dang difference between brands of stick powder.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
I prefere to seat bullets for best accuracy touching the lands; seated several thousandths long in case necks with just enough tension to hold them in handling and loading. This lets the bullet seat back when the round's chambered and have the same jump distance and start up resistance for every shot. As the head to shoulder length of sized cases have a small dimensional spread, getting the same distance from case head to some diameter on the seated bullet ends up with different jump to the lands distance.
That's a really interesting idea. I've never heard of it but it seems like a logical way to ensure uniformity in seating depth as long as the neck tension is in the right range to do what you are asking. The only downside I can think of is that some bullets seem to do better with a defined jump (e.g. Barnes).