Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sort of stuck case in chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sort of stuck case in chamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescotty View Post
Gary,
This rifle I bought last year from a friend that won it in a raffle...it was still new in the box!! I have only fired 63 rounds through it...60 on the bench and three this past hunting season. Could this be a factory defect
looking at the bolt head tells me that I wouldn't shoot it. Also the case looks like it is seating too deep in the barrel, but might just be the way the photo came out, and that's why I said the measure the counterbore. I just want you to be safe more than anything else. I might add that I actually kinda told you wrong about measuring the depth of the counterbore. It will be a combination of of the face of the bolt to the bottom of the counterbore, plus whatever the gap is between the barrel and the end of the bolt. Eitherwya the bolt should never contact the end of the barrel as this will create some seriously bad juju
gary

Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 PM

::I appreciate the concern for my safety for sure...I will be taking it to a gunsmith before I shoot it again.... thanks for all the advice
Old 03-10-2013, 12:39 PM

I've had a similar problem loading .308, my expander ball in my sizeing die was to small ( diameter) and the projectile was being forced down the neck causing this bulge, I changed the expander ball for one that measured closer to the projectile , there wasn't as much neck tension but it seemed fine, I unloaded all the rounds, resized full length and reloaded, it restored all my brass, and would cycle flawlessly, IMO use the proper die for the desired job and still double check the manufacturing