Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sort of stuck case in chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sort of stuck case in chamber

Other posters:

BlueScotty doesn't have a donut issue. He is using the wrong word for description. A donut is formed on the inside of a case and this is not what is going on.

BlueScotty:

If a case is snug with bolt closure then it can be even tighter after firing. This is a magnum not a BR case. I understand that you don't want to over size the case and work the brass but you just aren't sizing the brass enough. Set the FL die a bit deeper so the sized brass has no resistance on bolt closure and I'll bet that solves your issue.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

take four or five unsized, but fired cases and measure the area just above the band on the O.D. ( around .200") to see how it compairs with an unfired new case. It should be about .511" / .513" in diameter. Your full length die will not resize that part of the case very well. If the cases are in the .515" range, you need to buy a sizer fron Innovative Technologies. Otherwise your destined to be fighting this issue forever. The I.T. die will not completely resize the case, and you'll still need your full length die as well. Larry Willis is a pretty good guy and an avid shooter, so don't think of him as a scam artest.
gary
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Other posters:

BlueScotty doesn't have a donut issue. He is using the wrong word for description. A donut is formed on the inside of a case and this is not what is going on.

BlueScotty:

If a case is snug with bolt closure then it can be even tighter after firing. This is a magnum not a BR case. I understand that you don't want to over size the case and work the brass but you just aren't sizing the brass enough. Set the FL die a bit deeper so the sized brass has no resistance on bolt closure and I'll bet that solves your issue.
+1
his load is actually rather mild, but if the brass doesn't want to go in, it sure as heck isn't going to want out.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Good thoughts for sure on all of the replies and I thank u very much gentlemen... I think I am more confused as to why the brass extracts very easily after a moment to "cool" maybe? It just seems very odd to me. I will run through all the given scenarios and post my findings if and when I make it home to try them... thanks again folks.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Another thing, does this rifle do this with new brass?? Or with factory loads?? If so there may be a bit of chamber irregularity that needs to be cleaned up. If it's just with your 2x fired brass you have your answer in the above comments.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM

So far it is just the 2x fired brass... but I haven't fired anymore shots since the original 20 rounds to be sure.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:36 PM

So I think I found the problem? Question is...what caused it and do I need a gunsmith to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Sort of stuck case in chamber-2013-03-08_16-30-05_37.jpg   Sort of stuck case in chamber-2013-03-08_16-29-50_227.jpg