Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sort of stuck case in chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Sort of stuck case in chamber

Hello all...been using your sight for tons of great info but now I have a problem I can't seem to find the answer to...
300win mag with hand loads 76.2 gr r-22 with 168 sst...twice fired hornady brass

Here is the problem, I use FL die to theoretically neck size leaving a small donut on the case neck..today after firing it would take a second of so for the cases to pull out of the chamber...bolt lift was normal and they chambered smoothly with a touch of resistance when closing. I just couldn't cycle the bolt quickly I had to wait for the case to release, whenit did it came out very easily...I'm wondering if this is a problem with die adjustment or maybe a dirty chamber? Oh and only fired from this rifle Rem 700....any comments would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: Sort of stuck case in chamber

Welcome Bluescotty! I have used FL size dies to neck size before and have never created a "doughnut" on the casing. Others may have a better idea than I do, but it sounds to me like you may have the die set a little deep or shallow. It's hard to say without a picture. The other thing that comes to mind is that your cases may be getting a little long. Do you trim them to length? How many times have you loaded them?

I can't explain the sticky cases, again maybe others can help here. I'm guessing that it probably has something to do with the "doughnut" though.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 AM

Thanks for the reply
All the cases are 2.605 in length and the doughnut is a small bump at the bottom of the case neck that does not get sized down with the rest of the neck.. I suspect that to be the cause of my problem and have since adjusted the die to size all the way to the shoulder... hopefully that will remedy my problem.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

You might try a different case. I have had similiar issues with Hornady brass. Seemed like the case bodies were too soft. My problem dissapeared when I changed.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 PM

FL re-size with minimal shoulder bump. You will save yourself a lot of grief. Later! Frank
Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Silver Member

The other thing to do is buy a neck sizing die. They are worth the money for sure! Lesson learned for me.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

If the base of your bullet does not seat below the donut, it is nothing to worry about. If the bullet does go that low, use an expander and then lightly turn the necks. With a belted mag, neck sizing only is OK until lower case body grows. That could cause your problem

Try sizing down about 2/3rds only of the neck. Watch trim length.

Last edited by Gene; 03-01-2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: add