Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sort by bearing length and by weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Sort by bearing length and by weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
I don't remember saying anything about hammering it through. I believe the word I used was "pushed".

The point was that the extreme pressure curve and acceleration cannot be replicated so it makes no difference really.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
... so it makes no difference really.
I don't agree. I think the bullet may go thru a reformation process that would put those sorted in .001" increments in different batches than they were in before passing thru the rifling.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

Edd,

Food for thought. The bullet might get a swift enough kick in the butt so that it obturates deeper into the rifling than if just pushed thru, changing the bearing length vs. a pushed bullet.

Not 100% sure, but that might happen if the O.D. of the groove is larger than the OD of the bullet.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
For all you know, bullets sorted to match in bearing, or weight, won't match in BC.
A common occurance. There's one reason why a batch of bullets with identical weight, shape and outside/inside dimensions, they will not have the same BC. There's only one way to test them to find out which ones those are. And it's been done; with incredible results.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

I agree that if ALL things match then so will BC.
But one parameter match, or even two(like weight and bearing), is not ALL.
Hell an opened meplat, would wreak havoc on assumptions that bullets are matching -based on bearing to base and weight.
And so would base diameter, base length, base angle, nose length, ogive radius, and bullet diameter.

It's a stretch to assume ALL these match, merely because one or two of them 'seem' to, and with the only basis being anecdotal shooting results rather than measures with any scientific method..
I suggest 'seem to', because the measurement methods here are not at all qualified measures, but abstract comparisons only. You aren't actually measuring bearing length, but comparing one unqualified measure to others.

For example, with a 6mm, 15cal secant ogive, a variance of 0.2 in ogive radius(from 15.0 to 14.8) would shift your buhay measurement datum(if .236) outward by .003" making it 'seem' as though your bearing is .003" longer.
But combined with ALL parameters mentioned, your bearing could actually be anything(longer or shorter).
Yet you would sort bullets on this alone?

To measure bearing length you would first qualify datums that are base angle, and ogive radius, so that bearing alone is isolated.
Then, MAYBE, very difficult testing might show an affect of bearing variance to MV.
Until then, it is merely mob murmuring..
Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I agree that if ALL things match then so will BC.
What are all those things?

All I've seen listed in this thread are most of the external dimensions. There are at least two others inside; jacket wall thickness is one.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
What are all those things?

All I've seen listed in this thread are most of the external dimensions. There are at least two others inside; jacket wall thickness is one.
Trim length consistency. Or maybe that is external.