Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Something weird going on here...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Something weird going on here...

Tonight I was loading up some .300 win mag ammo to try out tomorrow.
Brass was once fired and full length sized Lapua.
First lot were Barnes MRX and everything went to plan, as usual.
I had the rifle on the bench to obtain and double check overall length on each load.
Then some Lapua Scenars. I loaded 5 up and while I was running them through the rifle to see if the bullets were engraving, one round stuck.
It was a bit hard to close but I put it down to the bullet still seated too far out.
The bolt came back out without the cartridge and I had to tap it out with a cleaning rod.
Confused, I decided to try it again. This time it was tough to close the bolt, but I figured I see if it would grab the round and extract it. It stuck again.
I put that case aside and continued to check the others. A few trials later, another round stuck, same thing.
I grabbed my calipers and started checking for anything out of spec.
Nothing was out. It seemed that maybe the shoulder on these cases was contacting the chamber more than it should but it's hard to tell.
Still not satisfied I ran a boresnake through the chamber and barrel in csae there was anything in there and tried the sticky cases again. They stuck, and had to be tapped back out.
I measured them again, nothing out of the ordinary.
After that I got called away from the reloading shed, I'll probably just pull the bullets and re-size the cases, but it was truly strange.
Any ideas?
Old 04-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Are you using a headspace guage when resizing your brass?Try bumping the shoulder back a little more and see what happens.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Bronze Member

I just got my 7mmSTW back from the smith. My throat somehow shrunk. When he cleaned it out he said it looked like some kind of baked on cleaner or something. I figured it out a few days later. I have been using gun juice after cleaning the barrel and it has been building up in the throat. I push a wet patch through and the excess is squeezed out in the throat and I have not been wiping it out but I am now.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
Are you using a headspace guage when resizing your brass?Try bumping the shoulder back a little more and see what happens.

#1 Ditto!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Just a thought. If your cases are too long for the chamber, such a scenario might play out.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Read my website (below), and you'll see the cause of your problem right on the home page. Our website is devoted to helping shooters make the best handloads possible. I also made a special resizing die designed specificly for belted magnum calibers.

- innovative
Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

I've got one of Larry's dies and it works wonderfully and has helped me reclaim a quite a bit of weatherby brass from a couple of my buddies custom rifles. (That's why I made HIM buy it!)

But..if you haven't had trouble with that gun and that set of dies before (I'm assuming a once fired was in THAT GUN?) I would wonder if the bulge above the belt is the culprit. A quick check of your ammo....at least a check that' worked for me is as follows: measure just above the belt if you have a measurement greater than .5135" just above it you may have the dreaded bulge. If not I would say that's not the problem.
One other thought is if you keep your headspace to a near minimum and might have had an expander go through a pretty dry neck and pull the shoulder and neck up past the headspace dimension?