Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Some pics of groups, and some questions...results from this morning...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: Some pics of groups, and some questions...results from this mornin

I tend to agree with rem as far as flyers go. I have custom built guns that sure don't have as many flyers, or they aren't as big with the custom guns. I can shoot them side by side and get good groups with the custom rigs, and get a flyer with the factory.

you are probably right as far as load development goes...I think once I get a better load worked up, then the flyers "should" diminish...I hope

I'm definatly not saying that I don't screw up, but it seems to me that there are more shots out of the factory tubes that cannot be explained when compared to my other guns..

your thoughts?
Old 04-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: Some pics of groups, and some questions...results from this morning...

[ QUOTE ]
There are no flyers. Just examples of what happens when something among all those variables added up to make that shot go where it did. It's my opinion that people cause more undesireable shot hole locations than equipment or the atmosphere does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bart, you're right on the money as usual. It happens to all of us. When I evaluate a load, I usually dismissed those errant flyers and misplaced shot as operator error. I seldom blame my rifle and my loads.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

My problem with flyers is that sometimes they are just to big to be "operator error" over and over and over again. Especially when its with different loads, same techniques, usually same shot #3. Customs just dont seem to throw flyers out as much, or surely not as far. When I get 2 shots touching, then throw a 3rd shot 1 or 1.5" away, come on, I know for a fact I did not pull that bad. Especially when it does it over, and over, and over....Maybe 10% of factory guns will be 1 holers, then maybe another 10-20% may shoot .5" moa consistently, the rest will have flyers usually very very often and theres not really anything you can do about it. THis is just what I have found with factory rifles. Its all I have ever owned, shot, and loaded for and I have countless flyers that happen regularly with loads. I just stop trying to get rid of the flyer and take the fact that with a factory barrel, what more can you expect?? YOu cant expect them to be 1 holers all the time. It took me years to realize that.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Gold Member

side note, Rem 06' we should get togather sometime, and go shoot at some sage rats. I know your leaving soon, but maybe before then?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

I'm not leaving anymore, I ended up not leaving. I did not want to be driving a fuel tank in the sandbox. I decided I was just fine where I'm at. Also did not want to leave the northwest and leave my long range shooting and hunting. Sounds great to get together and shoot sometime. I have weekends off, so when the weather starts to really warm up, we should decide on a place and a date.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Gold Member

Mike/Tx quote "Also you better keep those ears covered, that ringing will deminish over time if you don't, but the tone in your wife's voice will increase at about the same rate."

yes, I usually use both plugs and muffs, but my wife came out to hang out outside with me, and she was using my muffs, and I didn't bring the other pair. I had plugs in, and thought I was fine until I took them out when I was done shooting, and hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, thats kind of what it sounded like. oh, also throw in a little ringggggggggggggg.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do hunting? do you guys wear plugs hunting? anyone use the electronic muffs for shooting or hunting, are they good?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Customs just dont seem to throw flyers out as much, or surely not as far. When I get 2 shots touching, then throw a 3rd shot 1 or 1.5" away, come on, I know for a fact I did not pull that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

WoW [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] that's exceptional. I can't tell for the life of me whether I pulled a shot or not until I analyzed the target thoroughly. Below were samples of a pulled shot and a wrong cheek placement. Obviously a shooter error. By the way, the groups were from my Gruning Precision built Tactical Rifle.

The target from the left 5 shot Federal Gold medal Match 168 Sierra GK on the right 168 Nosler Comp J-4 handloads. These are 100 yard groups