Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Some pics of groups, and some questions...results from this morning...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 02:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: Some pics of groups, and some questions...results from this mornin

thanks for the replys...
Roy, no offence taken at all, thanks for the things to check.
Cases are trimmed to length, and chamfered/deburred. I have not weighed cases so far. The ring around the neck looks pretty uniform, but not perfect.

I will check the bedding again. recoil lug does have room in front and on the sides. No wobble in bullets after loading. I did break the barrel in.

I think I will start shooting 4 shot groups, and that may help a little more.

How often do you guys clean your big guns while shooting? is there a certain # of shots before you clean? kind of a benchmark people go by, I'm usually shoot smaller caliber guns that can go a long way between cleanings.

Thanks again, I'll keep working on it, I would like to get a little more out of it... any other advice out there?
Old 04-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Gold Member

My bud's Sendero was doing about the same thing as yours is. We shot various loads and still had about the same results. Then he picked the most consistant powder which I think was H-1000, at around 92grs. He started with the bullet out just off the lands and started bumping back in around .005 increments. Not much was noticable in the groups, then in one more adjustment, whammo, one hole group. We tried a couple of more adjustments in, and the groups opened right back up. The only thing he has done with his was have Kirby install a Holland brake.

I am not sure just what it was he settled on as an OAL, but I do know that the 185gr Bergers are running 3200+ and shooting bug holes out to 500yds. He has already taken a hog out to 550 with them and they flat knock their socks off.

He is wanting to try the AB's soon, but hsan't had time the past couple of weekends. If your interested, shoot me a e-mail and I will get back to you with what we come up with.

Also you better keep those ears covered, that ringing will deminish over time if you don't, but the tone in your wife's voice will increase at about the same rate. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I shot my friends "ONCE" without ear protection, and thought my nose was going to start bleeding from the concussion, not a good thing. Remember it's not the deer at 450 yds your needing to hear slip through the woods, it's the bear at 20 coming in from behind. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 04-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Comment 1: What Mike/TX said

Comment 2: How come no one ever hits the coin? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hey Mike: Why not post what you and your bud find out? That's good stuff about the seating depth adjustments!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:46 AM
SPONSOR

I'm shooting the 240 SMK w/85 gr of Retumbo and that is not hot by any means. Bump here up and I'll bet the groups start shrinking.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Gold Member

thanks mike, and yes I would love to know what he comes up with. I need to go buy a stoney point tool for checking the lands, and I think I need an ogive gauge???
anything else I need? My main concern is that I want them to fit in the mag, so I'm limited as far as that goes.

also, I think I will try and shoot some coins, sounds fun. Only problem is when you hit em they go flying and are hard to find..

Ok, I'm going to keep working on this gun a lot more, and see what I can do with it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the info mike, I'll keep checking here waiting for more info, or you can email me anything you want...
lovdasnow@hotmail.com

thanks, jon
Old 04-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Some pics of groups, and some questions...results from this morning...

[ QUOTE ]
what the heck causes flyers?

[/ QUOTE ]There are no flyers. Everything that effects each bullet's trajectory determines where it strikes. If the hole doesn't appear where we expect it to, something we (position + trigger control), the equipment (rifle & sights + ammo) or the atmoshpere (wind + air density) made it go where it did. Something wasn't perfect in the preperation of and execution of that shot.

So, we gotta figure out what each of these three areas wasn't 'perfect' or very close to it. Each one gets sometimes hard to evaluate, but it can be done. Shooting accuracy is the reduction of all shooting variables to as close to zero as possible.

There are no flyers. Just examples of what happens when something among all those variables added up to make that shot go where it did. It's my opinion that people cause more undesireable shot hole locations than equipment or the atmosphere does.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

I got the coin idea covered. Put a piece of scotch tape over the coin, that way it wont go flying when you hit it. I have several nickels with holes in them and it worked just fine taped to the target. I dont know about there being no flyers with factory barrels. Factory barrels are sometimes junk, they are the limiting factor in my opinion 90% of the time. Custom barrels seem to not throw bullets out as much, so obviously theres a reason for it vs. a factory barrel.