Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Some opinions on .45 ACP powder for 3.5" bbl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Silver Member

Some opinions on .45 ACP powder for 3.5" bbl

I just got a new pistol for carry, a Kimber Ultra CDP II. It's a sub-compact with a 3.5" bbl (IIRC). I've loaded for .45 for a while, but always for my full size 5" pistols, and I have only used AA No.7, Power Pistol, and Unique (although I don't like it).

I don't load "light target" loads, I load everything full power. I am looking to develop a load for this compact for carry/defense use. Velocity is paramount. I am going to be developing around the Hornady 185gr. XTP, and maybe a couple 200gr. bullets, after I obtain some for testing. I am shooting better groups (factory ammo) with this compact with 185 grainers, namely Hornady Critical Defense 185's.
I got a free coupon for 500 free Speer bullets, and am going to order 500 of their 185gr. Gold Dots as well, but should accept similar load data to the 185 XTPs.

Any advice/suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated!

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson
Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Some opinions on .45 ACP powder for 3.5" bbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
I just got a new pistol for carry, a Kimber Ultra CDP II. It's a sub-compact with a 3.5" bbl (IIRC). I've loaded for .45 for a while, but always for my full size 5" pistols, and I have only used AA No.7, Power Pistol, and Unique (although I don't like it).

I don't load "light target" loads, I load everything full power. I am looking to develop a load for this compact for carry/defense use. Velocity is paramount. I am going to be developing around the Hornady 185gr. XTP, and maybe a couple 200gr. bullets, after I obtain some for testing. I am shooting better groups (factory ammo) with this compact with 185 grainers, namely Hornady Critical Defense 185's.
I got a free coupon for 500 free Speer bullets, and am going to order 500 of their 185gr. Gold Dots as well, but should accept similar load data to the 185 XTPs.

Any advice/suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated!
try AA #5 with a 185 grain or 200 grain bullet.
gary
Old 02-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
gary

I still like the unique at about 7 grains. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

I thought about AA No.5, since I figured my short barrel would benefit from a faster powder than my normal No.7... However, I have heard that No.5 is extremely temperature sensitive....

I forgot to mention, I want a load/powder that isn't too temp sensitive, since living here in the N.C. mountains, sometimes the mornings are 30*F, and get up to 60 - 65*F by 2pm... (lately), usually winter stays around 15*F - 40*F, and summer 75*F - 90*F... so temp fluctuations are pretty bad.

Do you get severe temp sensitivity with AA #5?

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson
Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

I've been using Winchester WSF with 185 grain XTP's in my Kimber Ultra Carry. 7.7 grains functions well. I use a 185 grain LSWC with WST for my plinking and practice round.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
gary
#1 on the AA#5
or hs6-- that'll put the pills out pretty well too.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

I am shooting the 230gn XTP in my Kimber Pro Carry II (4") using 8.1gn of Power Pistol/WLP. Chrono's at 916fps and usually stays under 2" at 25yds. I practice with these but use factory ammo (Corbon DPX 185gn) for carry.
I trust my reloads but don't want/need the possible litigation that the CC forum guys say could occur should I shoot someone using a max power load. JohnnyK.