Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

So I read the sticky 300WM help

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nampa, ID
Posts: 9
So I read the sticky 300WM help

I am loading 300wm in a M70 and using a Hornady COAL gauge the lands are at 2.880ish. Doing all the math the bullets are still too long for the magazine. The longest I can get is 2.699.
This is using the Hornady bullet comparator not a true COAL.
What would be the best option for trying to tweak the best accuracy out of this gun? Powder? COAL? Crimp? Modify the magazine box(Not Likely)?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,388
Re: So I read the sticky 300WM help

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
I am loading 300wm in a M70 and using a Hornady COAL gauge the lands are at 2.880ish. Doing all the math the bullets are still too long for the magazine. The longest I can get is 2.699.
This is using the Hornady bullet comparator not a true COAL.
What would be the best option for trying to tweak the best accuracy out of this gun? Powder? COAL? Crimp? Modify the magazine box(Not Likely)?
Well I would like to help you, but I can answer the question with the info you provided. Is the M70 a CRF or PF action? Also what would you like to shoot the 300 win at, ie. the game and at what range?

If you give me (us) this info we can help. Also you realize that just because your mag box is X length it's no matter. We can make it longer.....
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nampa, ID
Posts: 9
Re: So I read the sticky 300WM help

I think it is a CRF as it is a 2 year old gun. The goal is big game hunting we have chances on Elk out to 500yds. Well actually further but I ain't poking out that far. Additionally I would like to give our 1000 yard matches a try.

The main thing is taking elk and deer.

I have Berger 168,175 and 180's and some Barnes 180's
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The cold part of Montana
Posts: 1,390
Re: So I read the sticky 300WM help

Berger Classic Hunter Hybrid Hunting Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 185

I don't know if you've seen these yet their very new, I tried em out in my 7mag and so far I like em, they are a shorter bullet than the VLD, and your COAL ends up noticeably shorter as well
__________________
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nampa, ID
Posts: 9
Re: So I read the sticky 300WM help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Berger Classic Hunter Hybrid Hunting Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 185

I don't know if you've seen these yet their very new, I tried em out in my 7mag and so far I like em, they are a shorter bullet than the VLD, and your COAL ends up noticeably shorter as well
Nope have not seen them. I do have a Dremel and can fix the mag box
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,388
Re: So I read the sticky 300WM help

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
I think it is a CRF as it is a 2 year old gun. The goal is big game hunting we have chances on Elk out to 500yds. Well actually further but I ain't poking out that far. Additionally I would like to give our 1000 yard matches a try.

The main thing is taking elk and deer.

I have Berger 168,175 and 180's and some Barnes 180's
Well What I would do is load the Barnes bullet. I shoot the 200g ttsx out of my 300wsm it will push 2800fps. I am slowly converting to this bullet as the range you mentioned I encounter more than any other.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 457
Re: So I read the sticky 300WM help

Load them one at a time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: So I read the sticky 300WM help
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sticky Bolt on 7mm mag jsimonh Reloading 10 04-03-2011 12:22 PM
sticky bolt sometimes luke Reloading 10 01-10-2011 10:16 AM
Sticky Recoil Pad 700man Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 5 04-04-2010 02:23 PM
Sticky chamber? Freebore Gunsmithing 21 02-20-2009 08:56 AM
sticky bolt 2 skeeter Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 3 09-05-2004 10:11 AM

Current Poll
Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES - 62.38%
1,066 Vote
NO - 37.62%
643 Votes
Total Votes: 1,709
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC