Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

so frustrated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: so frustrated.

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebore View Post
Yup, RCBS pad lube and a Lee pad for everything that goes bang caused by a trigger sear release. Yes you do have clean the dies periodically, just like anything else care and maintenance to keep in top performance mode. Replace the lube pads too now and then.
Since I've been using One Shot, I almost never have to clean the dies other than spraying them out occasionally with carb cleaner or One Shot to flush out carbon build up from the cases.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

[QUOTE=MontanaRifleman;352103]
Quote:

Since I've been using One Shot, I almost never have to clean the dies other than spraying them out occasionally with carb cleaner or One Shot to flush out carbon build up from the cases.
I have never tied the One shot. How many cases (rifle magnum) does it last @.? Doesn't it make a s.*t house out of things or do you have a 'spray booth' or box of some sort. I assume you still have to wipe the cases, even if you didn't tumble, not that matters 'cause I wipe everyone after tumbling and when I prime.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Bronze Member

Keep going folks, I'm picking up things a little at a time here. I haven't tried the solvent wipe at the range, but may do that, as I do have some tough stains around the neck on some shells.

My normal routine when I come back from a range session, is to give the cases a quick inspection for obvious defects, then toss into the tumbler.
Once they are tumbled it is easier to see any distortions, like an impending split in the neck, etc. I try to catch them here, rather than spending time processing the case and finding it later. Saves a little time on an otherwise unworthy case.
I then lube the cases 6 at a time on the pad, lube the necks with the neck brush, then resize. Never had to do it a little at a time, though, just one smooth stroke through the die. Have never had one that was hard to press. Could be just my good luck.

Next, I wipe the lube off the cases and inspect again for cracks, marks of weakness in the case necks and other places.
I chuck the primer pocket brush in my cordless drill and run the brush in each case for a second or two, then it gets inspected. I also use a pipe cleaner to clean out the neck, so there isn't any lube inside there.

Finally, they are ready to reload. And each step, priming, loading the powder, and bullet seating gets another inspection.
I don't have a runout guage, just roll the finished cartridges across the countertop.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

I have never tied the One shot. How many cases (rifle magnum) does it last @.? Doesn't it make a s.*t house out of things or do you have a 'spray booth' or box of some sort. I assume you still have to wipe the cases, even if you didn't tumble, not that matters 'cause I wipe everyone after tumbling and when I prime.
If you set your cases up in a block and used it carefully, giving them a quick shot from four diection, I magine you could lube several hundred, probably over 1000 case for FL siziing from one can. The amount of lube you use will vary depending on your cases, how you size, etc. I recommend using carb cleaner to flush dies out because it's cheaper than One Shot.

I have never had to wipe down or tumble brass. One Shot leaves a thin dry film and if you're careful in spraying it on, it's almost impossible to detect after it dries.