Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

so frustrated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: so frustrated.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester 69 View Post
Reading over this thread, I'm amazed at how One Shot is considered the saving grace. Looking at other forums, One Shot has been the greatest villain in stuck-die incidents, although the mis-use of spray lubes in general (not allowing them to dry) should really be cited. By comparison, Imperial is typically considered the solution. Case in point, one poster told of having broken two presses, one Hornady (the steel handle) and one Rockchucker (the cast-iron lower platform), before switching to Imperial. Seems he hadn't been letting the One Shot dry. He was sizing LC 308 brass.

I have a different take here. Sounds like the possible culprit is not following the die mfr's instructions to clean the dies before using. A preservative coating left on a die guarantees sticking, regardless of the sizing lube applied. I've never considered a spray-on lube to be the solution to any condition other than for ease-of-use.
Interesting... I've sized about 800 cases using One Shot since I started using it and other than the cases mentioned never had one issue with it. The cases that did get stuck on me were due to being quite over-pressured. Before One Shot, I used RCBS lube and it was a bit of a pain at times. Would regularly have to clean out the die to avoid getting build up and dented cases not too mention it's affintity for debris like tumbling media and hair, etc. Just my observations....

Mark
Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Bronze Member

Well he hasn't come back on the tread since posting
But your right I cleaned the heck out of mine with IPA then dryed with air hose before spraying the die
Old 01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I've sized about 800 cases using One Shot since I started using it and other than the cases mentioned never had one issue with it.
My post had little to do with case lubes other than to make the observation about condemnation and salvation. I have since come across a thread addressing the Hornady product, apparently by some who are less concerned with following instructions than you are.

Reloader's Nest Forum - Hornady ONE SHOT
Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

I went to the RCBS KY/pad, because sizing wax failed(causing 6XC case failure/ripped off rim).
So it's surprising to hear of wax as a 'solution'.
Apparently, one lube will not work for all...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Bronze Member

I have used RCBS lube and pad for everything from .223 up through my 300 and 338 RUMs and never had a problem with it. So far, no stuck cases in anything. Now that I said that, I'll stick the next one I run through the dies. Also using RCBS dies.

I do clean them periodically, as well as the lube pad.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Bronze Member

I use Hornady One shot case lube and RCBS die's.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

Yup, RCBS pad lube and a Lee pad for everything that goes bang caused by a trigger sear release. Yes you do have clean the dies periodically, just like anything else care and maintenance to keep in top performance mode. Replace the lube pads too now and then.

The Imperial wax thing is I think is used more in the benchrest circuit and by tightneck chambers shooters. Almost went there but can't see handling all them cases 1 at a time to lube, just put 6 or so and roll a few times on the pad.

I wipe the necks at the range after firing with a rag that has a little Hoppes on it to clean the powder fouling off and help keep my lube pad a little cleaner.

Of all the stuck cases I've had over the years they can ALL be attributed one of to 2 things or both. One being too little lube and second try to size a 'hammered' case in one stoke as mentioned in other posts.