Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

so frustrated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: so frustrated.

Started reloading my 338 RUM last month and almost had the same problem.
I was using Lyman lube oil and the first couple felt like they would get stuck in the sizing die so I stopped
Cleaned the die then switched to Lyman spray lube
Sprayed the die, let it dry
Now I spray my pad roll the shell over it.
They slid in and out of the die fine now
Hornady dies
I'm sure the Hornady spray lube is good

Last edited by conn338rum; 01-11-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

I had this problem with my 300 RUM and a Redding body die. The cases (3 of them) had been overpressured from load development and got stuck when I tried to rsize them. I should have learned my lesson from the first one.

Here's how I dealt with it. I screwed the die in the press upside down with casehead up. Then I screwed a self drilling/tapping 1/4 hex dead screw into the primer pocket. Then I got a crow bar and put the claw under the head of the hex screw and lever pulled the case out. After that, when I started to "feel" the case going into the die too tight I backed off. and ran it up again just a little and backed off again and repeated this until the whole case was sized. So if you get a tight case going into the die, dont try to do it all in one stroke. Use multiple strokes a little at a time and it will work fine. I use Hornady One Shot Lube and i thuink it's the best stuff on the market.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 01-12-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

I found my self in need of extracting a case form a sizing die one day, so after thrashing it for a while I drilled and tapped the pocket then set a socket over the case but on the die and put a washer and a bolt in and tightened up till it popped out. I found no lube low on the case and not powdering the necks to be the culprit in my situation.
How badly did you trash your die, you can get parts and or use some wet dry sand paper on a split dowel under the sink water to clean up a gouge if it isn't to bad.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Make sure you lube the whole case and as MontanaRifleman mentioned sometimes 2-3 strokes...go by feel...don't try to muscle it.

Last edited by Chas1; 01-12-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: no email notification
Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

Another vote for Hornady One Shot! Give it a couple minutes to dry though.

Tom
Old 01-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

again, hndy. 1 shot, AND LUBE INSIDE THE CASE NECK.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
I am trying to get into reloading for my .300 rum, but I have gone through 2 sizing dies over the course of roughly 20 cases put through them, the first resize die was a Lee..

The second (Forster) got one stuck on the first resize.

Both dies are fubar'd.

I'm using Redding Imperial wax, at one point so much I crumpled the shoulder of the case.

What is going wrong?
Reading over this thread, I'm amazed at how One Shot is considered the saving grace. Looking at other forums, One Shot has been the greatest villain in stuck-die incidents, although the mis-use of spray lubes in general (not allowing them to dry) should really be cited. By comparison, Imperial is typically considered the solution. Case in point, one poster told of having broken two presses, one Hornady (the steel handle) and one Rockchucker (the cast-iron lower platform), before switching to Imperial. Seems he hadn't been letting the One Shot dry. He was sizing LC 308 brass.

I have a different take here. Sounds like the possible culprit is not following the die mfr's instructions to clean the dies before using. A preservative coating left on a die guarantees sticking, regardless of the sizing lube applied. I've never considered a spray-on lube to be the solution to any condition other than for ease-of-use.

Last edited by Winchester 69; 01-12-2010 at 01:45 PM.