Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

sizing die help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 10:14 AM

sizing die help

Im a new member to LRH.com but have been on the site for the last year or so. Im currently getting a 700 re barreled with a shilen 308 barrel. My question is what type of sizing die should I get?small base, fl, neck? Will neck sizing only work with brass that has been fired in my gun? Any way of knowing if fl sized brass will be too tight in chamber?thanks for any advice.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: sizing die help

No need for a sb die as your shooting a bolt action not a AR.I would recommend a fl bushing die,set it up for minimum bump and you can adjust neck tension with a couple different bushings.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

Lee makes a 3 die set, FL, NS and seat. For your money a good buy. Lee Reloading Supplies | Reloading Equipment Lee Precision | Discount Reloading Supplies by Lee | Titan Reloading
Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluebow View Post
No need for a sb die as your shooting a bolt action not a AR.I would recommend a fl bushing die,set it up for minimum bump and you can adjust neck tension with a couple different bushings.
Exactly what I would recommend as well.

Geb
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

lots of good dies out there, but not so good seaters! Forster sells a .308 national match die set, and with it you can also get the micrometer head on the seater. Forster dies are about as good as you can get in a threaded die. I'd simply use the full length die and avoid the usual headaches on neck sizing. Some guys like the Lee collet die, and others detest them. I'm in the group that wasn't impressed. If you try neck sizing, I'd go with the Wilson dies and an arbor press (later)
gary
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

For sizing, to get the best you can hope for out of that good barrel get a Forster or Redding body die and a Lee Collet neck die, you can use them in conjunction to "FL" size; the Lee neck die will work equally well with necks of any thickness without fussing with bushings or neck turning. Get a Forster BR or Redding Comp seater, no other threaded seater dies are close, and you're done.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
For sizing, to get the best you can hope for out of that good barrel get a Forster or Redding body die and a Lee Collet neck die, you can use them in conjunction to "FL" size; the Lee neck die will work equally well with necks of any thickness without fussing with bushings or neck turning. Get a Forster BR or Redding Comp seater, no other threaded seater dies are close, and you're done.
They don't do well with tight necked chambers as I learned the hard way. In a no turn setup they may work well. I have a .223, and a 22-250 with .246 necked chambers and typically want to use .243" or .244" brass in them. Can't get there
gary