Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

on-site or range reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: on-site or range reloading

GSSP,

That is all so familiar of the BR fellows I was referring to. About the only difference is, the board your press and powder measure are mounted to, would have legs on it. They would of course be shooting from the firing tables.

This is a couple of other views of our little shed, and the range.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 03-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Mike/Tx, we otta move to the Mouth of Hobble Canyon, THE WIND DOESN'T BLOW [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] In Idaho you'd spend all your time chasing components [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

GSSP, you're a lucky fella.

Mike/Tx: How do you keep your stuff so nice and orderly [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'd be ashamed to show a pic of mine.

Guess I'm lucky too. I have a 200yd range in my back yard. Bench is about 65 yds behind the house. For drop chart work and long range practice, I drive about 15 min. to the local range...... With loaded ammo.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:49 PM

Mike/tx is adding fuel to my fire. I intend to do what he is talking about. I just found out that there is an abandoned military range a few miles from Kinross and I intend to "make a day of it" at this range. I know it will be necessary to have a checklist before leaving the house. Knowing me I will forget the powder !!!!....I will pay attention to anything said about shooting and setting up at the range. Now if this 5 feet of snow would melt some I would be a happy shooter.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Gold Member

Roy,

The nice thing about the way we set up our range is, out to 200yds, there is little if any wind effect. The range is set up south to north, and during the spring the breeze comes straight from behind us and a wind row cuts it to almost nill, and when we get those light fronts the tree line to the left, and the woods on the hill out front, pretty much kills anything of a concerning nature from the north.

As for the neat and orderly, LOL you must be mistaking the nicely set up and organized equipment of GSSP, for my pics. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

THat little shed was built solely for the purpose of shooting out of. However it does serve well to store a few items which just seem to have no other place they aren't in the way.

The best thing about it is being able to shoot round the clock when we want to. the worst thing is the 3hr drive to get there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My Photo's

Old 03-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

OK, I'm catching on. The pic with the press and trimmer must be you shooting house. Still looks 'too' orderly. I can see how the trees are a pretty good protection for you.

I also snooped around you pic files. Some pretty nice bucks and hogs. Looks like there is quite a band of you guys, all shooters!

Also noticed that folding flat bed trailer w/the buck on it. Wheels for storage....pretty neat. Who makes a thing like that.

Seeing GSSP's equipment and 'stuff' out in the open on a banquet table, blows my mind. I had to set a post in the ground to mount my chrono. Got way too many errors when on a tripod. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

ah! I must be spring 'again'. Still dark outside,I just heard a pheasant squawk. Good times are on the way!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the good words on the game, we try. Considering it has all come from low fenced heavily hunted areas, there are some good ones in the bunch. As for the folks in the pic's, well most are family or just as close. There isn't any of them that, I have doubts about their abilities. My daughter is definately underestimated by a LOT of folks. It only takes a few rounds downrange however and they come around. LOL

As for the trailer, it's a Harbor Freight special. I have to admit, it has more than repaid the $170 cost in ease of use and load hauling capabilities. That thing totes just about anything we need it to within reason. The nice thing is we changed the hitch it came with out to 2" so we could use it more effeciently. Now one of us alone, can haul a load of feed in the truck, pull the trailer with the 4 wheeler on it, along behind, and then when we get out in the field or woods, unload the scooter and hook up the trailer to it and offload the feed. SAves several miles of trips and time when putting out feed. The trailer is also a full tilt which makes this, as well as loading up the critters, really easy.

When we first got it, we were all sort of skepital about how long it would actually last. Well going on 8 years now and still gong strong.

My Photo's