Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

single stage vs. turret press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 PM

single stage vs. turret press

Hi! everyone
Yep... my first thread. I want to start reloading my own ammo and I'm really not sure which press I'm gonna get. The caliber i will reload (as a start, anyway) are: .308 win, 223 rem, 9mm para pistol.

Turret or single stage, milk or no milk, vanilla or chocolate??? i guess you see my point
I don't shoot a lot, but it's a growing interest for me so it will surely go up (my shooting of course!)

One of my friend say's single is the way to go. nothing to complicated and you can reload almost all caliber and with great precision. In a sense i know he's right, but I'm not that convince.

Oh! one more thing, i don't have a ammo factory budget, more of a tight one!!!

So, if anyone out there can give their ideas or suggestions

Thanks in advance!

JF
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: single stage vs. turret press

Single stage to start. You can always buy a turret press in addition later ( much later) on SHOULD YOU NEED the amount of ammo a turret can make for you.

Get an RCBS Rock Chucker to chart
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Gold Member

I use a single Stage. It works for what I do, might take a little longer than a turret, but I can't really tell, since I tumble my brass after sizing, and that gives me plenty of time to swap dies before I start loading
Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

My recommendation would be to buy a single stage press, then upgrade it with the Hornady Lock-N-Load die bushings. These allow you to quickly change between dies, without having to reset adjustments everytime. Here is a link to the product on Midway's website. Hornady Lock-N-Load Press Die Conversion Bushing Kit

I personally have never liked turret presses due to the fact that anytime you introduce more moving parts, you inherently increase the risk of failure or at the very least a possibility for more runout in your cartridge. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

There is nothing complicated about the Redding T-7 Turret press. In FACT it is easier ,,,, MUCH easier to operate than a single stage. Some people must be getting "Turret" and "progressive" mixed up.

The beauty of the Redding T-7 Turret press is that once you set up your dies, and get them set at the exact setting for shoulder bump or bullet seating you leave them there. They are ready to go all the time by simply turning the head to the die you need. No playing around with the time wasting task of setting up the sizing die to size then removing it to set up the seating die for seating. Want to load one or just a few loads, easy, the dies are set and ready to go.

You have 7 spaces for dies. That is enough for up to 3 different rifles. I loaded with a rock chucker for years. They are a great press but they don't hold a candle to a T-7 progressive. I now have two of them to do all my reloading from 17 fireball to 338 Lapua. Plus I have extra turret heads that change out with the simple removal of one allen head bolt. Although I rarely need them and they are stored at the back of the bench.

If you want simple, and precision rounds with runout numbers in the .0005" to .0015" Go with a T-7 and you will never regret it. Take it from someone that has loaded for may years and does indeed load with a turret. They are the way to go.

Jeff

Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Turret press all the way, we've had a single stage and an older lyman turret for years but I'm building the mount for our new Redding T-7 right now, what an upgrade

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

"There is nothing complicated about the Redding T-7 Turret press. In FACT it is easier ,,,, MUCH easier to operate than a single stage. Some people must be getting "Turret" and "progressive" mixed up."

If this was addressed towards my comments about moving parts on a "turret", then I will tell you that I do, in fact, know the difference between a turret and a progressive press. In fact, I own all of these types in both rifle and shotgun.

My comments on the "moving parts" comes down to the fact that the turret itself is a moving part. Depending on the type of turret press one uses, some merely rotate into position and remain there by way of a detent ball, while others actually have a pressure lock nut to hold them in place. My issue with either type is that this can lead to inconsistent pressure on the die head, which can and will cause runout issues if the pressure changes or their is ever wear in any of the joints.

Not trying to start a pi$$ing match, just wanted to point out my experiences with both types of presses. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth...but I'll stick with my Forster Co-Ax. Garrett