Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Sinclair Press & Harrell powder measure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Sinclair Press & Harrell powder measure

Good afternoon everyone and a early Merry Christmas.
Currently I use a RCBS beam scale and an RCBS press for my reloading and it has served me well over the years.
I was out at the range a while ago and a gentleman there was showing me his Sinclair hand die kit and Harrell powder measure. This gentleman was saying that he only neck sizes his cartridges and that the powder measure was as accurate as the beam scale.
Do any of you guys have any information about these 2 items or have you used these items and can give some feedback? thx
Old 12-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sinclair Press & Harrell powder measure

harrel measures by volume not by weight. commonly used by benchrest guys shooting a 6ppc at 100 and 200 yards. i i would say most or all use it, for that purpose it works great. go to benchrest.com for more.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Harrell powder measure has click adjustment

Classic Culver Measure

Left side of picture is knob with click adjustment and what you normal do fill measure with powder you want to use there be number like 20/30/40 those are the click # and there may be some click between those mine has 3 click. Say you want to drop 27gr/H-322 what you do set click at 40 throw a charge but you need to weight it on a scale find out what 40 clicks weights it may weight 25gr then you need to start adjust click weight till click = 27gr. if you change powder you start all over again. How you raise and lower handle also effect amt of powder also. How I raised and lower handle on mine amt to almost 1gr difference.

The Wilson die
L. E. WILSON Inc.
L. E. WILSON Inc.

I'm set up to load at range and I use Wilson dies and Sinclair press also have Click adjustment powder measure not a Harrell.

There is lot more on the powder measure that I didn't include and when some start looking at the price plus dies/press/bushing then add hand priming tool like a Sinclair you be close to $700.

Click on this some of my Wilson neck dies
Nosler Reloading Forum • View topic - Dies Wilson

Here some of my seater dies
Old 12-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

I use the 60 grain Harrell Culver measurer with Sinclair drop tubes (several different sizes and lengths). What it does great is that it will throw ball powders with in a tenth and a half grain window all day long (+/- .075 grain). I keep a log book with the settings for the powder charges I've used in the past. I have no serious idea what they weigh, unless I weigh them. I can go back to a setting I used a couple years ago, and it will be right on the money. The Harrell works best with ball powders. The Harrell is the closest thing I've found to a real Homer Culver built Lyman #55 yet.

I use a K&M arbor press with Wilson dies or custom built inline dies. All neck size and seat bullets only. I chose the K&M over the others because it doesn't use a gear and rack, and the links give a better feel in bullet seating.
gary
Old 12-10-2013, 12:39 AM
Gold Member

I don't have picture of my range set up but this is pretty close even to the tool box and Sinclair sell the hanger for mounting power measure.

The Rifleman's Journal: Reloading: Range Reloading
Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

I guess what I am asking is the Sinclair press (with neck sizing only) and the Culver powder measure and more accurate way to load my shells or I am better sticking with the beam scale and full length sizing?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Lefty- if you are shooting a garand at 600 yards , a 6ppc at 100, 200 and 300; a 6.5-284 at 1000 yards ,or .45 gold cup at 50 yards; they all have their own set of equipment and paraphenalia. you do not say what you are shooting/shooting at- this is a long rangehunting forum and for a remington sendero i would say this: the harrell/culver measures by volume , everyone i know that shoots long range competition measure by weight. they must keep their es as low as possible the remove/limit the vertical spread. the wilson inline dies may have some benefit.