Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Similar burn rate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

Similar burn rate

Can powders of similar burn rates be substituted? My book only list ramshot Magnum was wanting to use something else. I.e can I take 10% out and start working up?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Similar burn rate

Anything is possible. Thats what the cross drilled holes are for in your receiver. I call 'em stupid holes. They are there for the sole purpose of an exit for stupid loads. That way the rifle don't blow up in your face......
Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 PM

I have never seen a manual that only listed one powder? More info?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

Gun guides 25-06 Seirra 120's. just was. Curious how powders of similar burn rate corresponded to pressures. I'll see if someone will run a quick load for me.

I got a Box of nosler accubond 180's for 30-06 and the card it came with only lists re-22, gun guide doesn't list nosler....
Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

I'd be a heck of a lot more worried about swapping powders than bullets as that'll get you into trouble a lot faster. Go to the alliant, accurate, or hodgdon websites for loads for the bullet weight and caliber and start down your 10% once you have a load for your powder in the bullet weight.
I've done quite a few workups with non-canister/ mli surp. powders and new powders as they come to the market. It isn't for the faint of heart and you need to do your homework before you pull the trigger. Advanced loading to be sure and just as dangerous as initial load workups with a wildcat.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iclimb View Post
Can powders of similar burn rates be substituted? My book only list ramshot Magnum was wanting to use something else. I.e can I take 10% out and start working up?
The answer is yes. I will always try to research data as much as possible but there is very little to no data in a lot of combinations. Newer powders such as RL17 and now RL33 have very little published data to go by and in the case of 33 I don't know of any.

I know that RL17's burn rate is very close to to H4350 which is a popular powder with lots of data and online recipes so when I started experimenting with it in different chamberings i looked for the H4350 data and recipes as a guide and started at about 10% lower than the max loads listed. The result were very predictable. With RL33, I know that it is very close to H870. I also know it's slower than Retumbo so the same charge of 33 for a Retumbo max load should produce lower pressure. To be safe I'll back off a little on that.

You don't want to back off too far. An extremely low charge can be trouble too.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

You don't want to back off too far. An extremely low charge can be trouble too.
Thanks for the info. How so?