Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Shoulder bump problem? Not far enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shoulder bump problem? Not far enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
I don't think so. Especially if the chamber shoulder's at the long end of some specs.

A 90 degree turn on the die moves it about .018". But that'll probably make the shell holder go hard against the die's bottom.

Al I know is thats what the man told me and I will have to try it out...once I get my rockchucker moved and bolted down tight
Old 10-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

Sully2, I think you're able to do all the right stuff with your Rockchucker measuring cases and sizing them.

I've had RCBS reps as well as Redding's tell me stuff that ain't quite kosher, too.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

I think the big question is; is your die too long, or THE CHAMBER TOO SHORT?

I emphasize chamber too short. Reason? I believe RCBS sizes their resizers to SAMMI max minus .001-002". Factory chambers should be SAMMI max, no? RCBS knows this. Therefore, their dies should not be the problem. Again, they know this.

The Accurate Shooter article discusses a long die, but actually, their chamber could be marginally too short, causing the problem and symptoms they have indicated.

Anything done aftermarket concerning chambering, and all bets are off.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHOOTER View Post
I believe RCBS sizes their resizers to SAMMI max minus .001-002". Factory chambers should be SAMMI max, no?
I disagree with that premise.

Factory chambers are anywhere between SAAMI minum and maximum; typically towards the shorter, minimum end. Cases so sized would not fit in most of them if sized a couple thousandths shorter in shoulder headspace than specs. My RCBS dies size fired cases back to about SAAMI minimum case specs. They're made that way so sized cases in them will easily chamber in all SAAMI spec chambers regardless of which end of the tolerances they're at. SAAMI maximum case specs are smaller than SAAMI minimum chamber specs.

Check them out in:

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...0-%20Rifle.pdf

And there's no SAAMI spec for reloading tools; dies included. Die makers choose their own specs and tolerances.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Yes, min specs for the chamber. This can be longer, but not likely. I look at the base to shoulder dimension, and that is the one that I will expect the factory to mimic. RCBS will size their dies to size just inside this dimension.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Pardon me again guys. Trying to understand this thread and Learn. I measures a 6.4x284 case using a OAL comparator Guage for a .30 cal. The new lapau brass measures 1.884 and my 6th fired case measured 1.914. Difference is .03.

How do you know how far to push the fired case or this case junk?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

This is what I am referring too about the Guage.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Shoulder bump problem? Not far enough?-image.jpg